Thursday, February 25, 2010

More Winter Weather

We got a nice break for the winter weather earlier in the week. It never quite seems to end though. Today and tomorrow is a lengthy snow storm. Although it has actually been weak thus far, the winds were very tough and made for a difficult run.

It was supposed to be an easy 6 miler. Fighting strong head on winds made it anything but. The good thing is that it is so warm that the snow still isn't sticking (even after 12 hours). I got up early this morning to run, but when I saw it wasn't sticking, I elected to run after work.

That turned out to be a good call. I never thought there would be no accumulation at this point. When the snow wasn't blowing directly in my face, it was actually quite pleasant.

One good thing is that I was so focused as I was facing the head wind, that time and miles seemed to breeze by. As I hit the brunt of the wind, I was passing a guy. I said to him, "now the fun begins." It really is nice knowing where the wind will be against me and where it'll be with me.

As expected, after the Columbia Bridge, I was finally able to relax. That felt good. I actually started off at the Art Museum during this run. I ended up turning around near Hunting Park Avenue.

Going back was tough at first, but them much easier. I was impressed when I passed the again after turning around. I didn't know if he'd be running that long. I really should've backed off the pace during the run, but it is hard to not push through the wind. Then when the wind is gone, you cruise along at what seems like an easy pace, but it actually quite fast.

I finished up after Lloyd Hall. The run took more out of me than I would've liked. I was just glad that I was well dressed. Wearing a hat to deflect the snow is a big help. My gloves are great during the run, but my hands do get cold on the walk back.

After the run, I ran 10 hill sprints behind the Art Museum. I wanted to run on my favorite steep section, but it was roped off, because of the snow. I opted for the normal path. It felt good to get through the 10 reps. As I sit here now though, my body is very sore. I definitely didn't go as easy as I should've today.

I need to start doing more consistent strength training. I'm going to focus on doing abs, hips and pushups every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. I've worked the abs quite a bit, but it has been sporadic. I haven't worked my hips enough.

Tomorrow is a scheduled easy 8 miler. I might need some extra time to recover after this evening's workout. Hopefully the snow won't accumulate too much. I definitely don't want to push the run off until Saturday. I want to use that day to rest.

6 miles - 47:55 (7:59 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment