Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Reducing the Impact

Today was another cold and cloudy day. It seems like it's been that way ever since the hot spell ended a week ago. We've had 50 degree and 90 degree days in the past couple weeks. It would actually be nice to get somewhere in the middle.

After running yesterday, I decided to run again today. I started off okay, although a little sluggish. Fairly early on though, my knee started acting up. I guess it couldn't handle two days in a row of running.

Luckily, I was able to switch to a stone path rather than run on asphalt. My knee felt much better after that and I was able to get to the end of that path and turn around. I guess I'll have to try running more often on softer surfaces. I never liked doing that, but it might be necessary to help reduce this stress problem on my knee.

I still only ran a couple miles, but I was able to turn around this time and set a goal location to stop at on the way back. That was a big help and really allowed me to keep going.

The end of the run was tough, but I really pushed myself. It was the hardest I've run in years. My knee felt pretty good by the end of the run and I forgot I was even having any problems with it at all. It's been a good start to week and I'm actually pretty worn out. I remember when I first started track back in HS, I was so tired that I ended up going to sleep at about 9 PM for the first few nights. I'm not quite that exhausted, but close to it.

Tomorrow I'll definitely get back onto the bike. I'm not sure yet about my plans for Thursday. I'll be biking one day and running the other between Thursday and Friday. Just not sure which one on which day yet. Next week, I want to try to get my first speed work session in. I'll either do ladders or repeats on the track. Progress is still on the slow side, but I'm feeling better everyday. I've already lost a couple pounds too. I'd really love to drop another 20+ pounds though.

No comments:

Post a Comment