Monday, May 25, 2009

Indy Run #1 (May 21st)

Today was an interesting run. It's not everyday that you get to run by the greatest auto racing circuit in the country. I started off running down the smooth sidewalk in front of the front straight away at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. The straightaway itself is nearly a mile long. After that, I turned and went to the church that I'll be going to on Saturday or Sunday.

When I started off, my hamstring was tight. It loosen as I ran though. Even though it was 80 degrees, there was a nice breeze in my face along front stretch. When I turned right though, things changed dramatically. It suddenly became very hot. It's been rather cool back home and this high temperature and humidity (even at 6 PM) was tough to handle.

I drank a bottle of water about half an hour before starting my run, but even so I was still dehydrated within the first mile. The heat really took its toll as I hit the church, but I pushed on and back to the campsite. I made it to the edge of our camping area, but couldn't make it all the way to our camper.

The heat really destroyed me and of course I felt it even more after I was done running. My knee was a little sore too, but I ran through it without any real problems. The hard concrete sidewalks really gave my knees a pounding. I managed to survive that and the blazing heat too. I end up running about 2.6 miles total. Not great, but not too bad either considering the circumstances.

After how difficult today was, I'll probably take tomorrow off. There's no activity on the track on Saturday, so I'll likely run at some point then. Today I ran the opposite direction as my track workout two days ago. Not sure if that really reduced stress on my leg or not. Regardless, I'm probably going to run the normal direction Saturday. I want to run on the outside of the 2.5 mile track. Sunday will be a race and travel day too so I'll likely rest then as well. That'll allow me to really push it on Saturday. All in all, it was a very productive day.

No comments:

Post a Comment