Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Pulling Back

I made today's run short and easy. I started at Lloyd Hall on Boat House row and ran south to do the Walnut Street loop. On the way back, I finished up after the train bridge behind 30th street station. It was probably less than a 2 mile run.

The weather was terrible on Tuesday so I took the day off rather than biking. It was cold, rainy and windy and wasn't worth the short ride that I was planning on. I wanted to stick with a short run today and that definitely became the case when I started out sluggish.

I did more running last week and Monday than I had previously done and it was starting to take its toll on me. My legs were really sore for the first half mile and I was slow. Although I still plan on a 5 or 6 mile run on Friday, it is time to stick with some more biking and short runs in between my long runs. I don't want to wear myself out too early on.

I still certainly have plenty of energy and desire. I'm looking into running my first road race (probably a 5-K) when I go to my parents house on Father's Day weekend. It'll be a good way to gauge where I'm at from a speed perspective. I haven't run a race in years and I'm eager to see what I can do.

I'm continuing to think long term too. My goal is obviously just to run the half marathon next year faster than I did in 2000, but I'm really starting to think about a full marathon too. I can't seriously consider that though until I'm able to at least comfortably run 10 miles when I go out. I'd love to complete a marathon sometime and even better would be to qualify for and run the Boston Marathon.

Anyways, back to reality and the world of my short runs. Tomorrow will definitely be a bike ride. Friday I'll be trying to complete a 5 or 6 mile run.

No comments:

Post a Comment