Sunday, May 3, 2015

2015 TNF Bear Mountain 50 Mile Race Report (First DNF)

I’ve talked to some ultra friends who are scared of the dreaded DNF.  Me, on the other hand, I knew eventually it would be coming and I’d welcome it as a learning experience.  Today, turned out to be that day at TNF Bear Mountain 50 miler in Upstate New York.  After 8 successful ultras, it was my first DNF.

I have been playing with fire all spring.  I signed up for 4 ultras over a 2 months period.  To make matters worse, the Naked Bavarian 40 Mile, which was supposed to start it all, got pushed back 3 weeks.  That left me with the difficult task of running 4 ultras in 7 weeks and trying to log a total of 152 miles over those races.  Today, it all caught up to me.
 
I came into this race with some issues.  The HAT 50K was the first of the ultras.  I ran in my Altra Lone Peaks then, for the first time over a long distance.  With all the snow we had all winter, I didn’t get to break them in much.  After 31 miles of mud, I survived, but the top of my left foot began to bother me.

Things were fine during the Naked Bavarian.  Again, I wore the Lone Peaks.  I had some hot spots early on because the shoes were too loose.  I tied them tighter during the race.  I had no issue while racing, but for the following weeks, the top of my foot hurt a lot.  This was so much the case that I wasn’t sure if I could even start the Hyner 50K.

For Hyner, I switched to my old trusty Salomons.  They don’t do well on technical terrain, but they would have to do.  My foot hurt during the race, but I survived. In the 2 weeks between Hyner and Bear Mountain, I rested more of the foot felt great.  

I knew I couldn’t run in the Lone Peaks or the Salomons for Bear Mountain.  This was a super technical course, so I took some suggestions from friends and bought the New Balance MT00v2.0 shoes.  In my test runs coming into the race, they didn’t seem to do well for me on technical runs, like the one last week at Bear Mountain.  Therefore, I decided to take a chance and hope that the Altras would work with some KT Tape on my foot.  I knew it was a gamble, but I wasn’t left with many good choices.

We arrived at Harriman State Park, about 20 minutes from the starting area, and setup our camper on Friday evening.  My dad was along to camp and crew for me.  I especially needed him for this one, as I was unsure of my shoe selection.

One of my other big concerns heading into the race was the start time.  In order for everyone to make the cutoff before dark, the race started in the morning darkness at 5 AM.  I’m usually up until 1 or 2 AM, so I knew sleeping would be tough.  Sure enough, it was.  I went to bed at 9 PM, but probably didn’t fall asleep until about 1 AM.  I didn’t sleep solidly after that either and was up at 3 AM to get ready.

I was in a rush getting all my stuff together before the race.  Luckily, we were able to park in the starting area before they started charging.  This gave me a lot of time to get ready for the race and took away some of my stress.  I saw Pat and Jonas at the registration table.  It was good to see a couple local people.

I stood around the fires right before the start.  It was cold and dark.  We had to begin with headlamps.  I don’t wear mine often, but I figured I could deal with it for an hour.  The race started in 4 waves.  I could hear the announcer and I thought that he said if you had a number in the 100s, you were in wave 1.  I started there, but in the back.

We were off at 5 AM.  The race starts on some pavement and then goes to some wide trail.  It was a bit rocky and muddy and we had some climbs.  Apparently this section was very muddy last year.  I cruised along making good time.

A lot of this early section was back on to pavement.  It was very runnable.  I tucked in with a few runners and was going solid.  The thing that made it tough was that it seemed to be a gradual uphill.  I ran most of it.

Things got a bit more technical as we went toward the aid station (Anthony Wayne).  There were some photographers taking cool photos in the woods.  I wish more ultras had that.  One issue I had at this point was the humidity.  It was cold, but humid before the sun came up.  I was sweating like crazy.  I don’t know how people had long sleeves and jackets on, even well into the morning.

The other issue was my energy level.  It was probably the combination of poor nutrition and lack of sleep.  I had not run anywhere and yet I felt like I already had done over 20 miles.  This would be tough to dig out of.

This first leg was quite fast.  I came through 4 miles around 45 minutes.  I wasn’t running too uncomfortable, but it definitely was faster than I would’ve run.  Apparently, I should’ve actually been in wave 3, instead of wave 1.  Oh well, lesson learned.

I saw my dad, gave him my headlamp and told him I felt like crap.  I saw Ron and Jo and that was encouraging.  On I went.

After crossing a bridge, it was some climbing and some technical singletrack.  I took it easy when I could and hiked the hills.  Since I was in wave 1, these people were moving quite aggressively and I was passed often.  I stumbled on the technical rocks a few times, but didn’t fall.  I twisted my ankles quite a few times throughout the run.  Some guy commented on my multi colored calf sleeves.

Following the technical part, it was on to a paved road with a gradual incline.  I knew these sections would be annoying to me, but at least they’d be fast and keep me ahead of the cutoffs.  I drank a lot of my highly concentrated Tailwind, but I couldn’t get my energy levels up or wake up.  It was very frustrating.  I was so zapped and it was early.  I figured that I would try to get to mile 19 and drop at that aid station if things didn’t improve.

We went from the road to a very pleasant woods road.  It was quite smooth, fast and runnable.  People in my group were flying and I often was passed.  I tried to run my own race, but it was hard with so much speed around me.

The woods road got more technical and had some up and down, as we went around Silvermine Lake.  My race went from bad to worse, as we approached the Silvermine aid station.  With the now technical trail, my energy low and concentration bad, I was stumbling over a lot of rocks and going slow.  Instead of thinking I might quit at mile 19, I now was thinking that I might quit at this aid station.  In addition to all of that, the bottom of my left foot started to get sore (not the top).

I came into Silvermine, not even 9 miles into the run and already in low point.  There are highs and lows in ultras.  I’ve learned that that happens and I’ve learned how to battle through them.  That is when the lows hit in the middle of the race.  I couldn’t fathom hitting one this early in a race and surviving.

I came into the aid station and told my dad I was thinking of dropping.  He didn’t want me to, but he wasn’t very convincing either.  He later told me that I did already look like hell.  I then went to grab some food and drinks.  I bumped into Wayne there, as he was coming through behind me.  I told him my dilemma and he said, “It’s not that far to the next aid station.  You can even hike it all if you have.”

He was convincing enough.  I decided to grab some more food and drink.  I took my time and switched shoes.  I was now in the New Balance ones.  I went to the bathroom and then headed back out.  It was on to Arden Valley.  That aid station technically didn’t allow crew or spectators, but I told my dad to try to meet me there in case I dropped.

The break turned out to be what I needed.  The upcoming trail conditions were a big boost too.  It was a relatively smooth woods road that was quite runnable.  Some sections were rocky and I was forced to hike, but it wasn’t many.  There were two young ladies that I swapped spots with several times.  They were slow up the uphill parts, but blasted downhill.  Eventually, they got by me for good.

My energy was back up and I was feeling decent (still not great).  Then, it happened.  We got on to the Long Path.  So much for the easy going we had thus far.  I had been surprised at how runnable the course was in the first 10 miles.  I knew there were a lot of technical parts and coming into the race, I hoped a few runnable parts as well.

The Long Path was a beast.  It was a lot like the AT part I ran last week, except without the views.  It was short, steep ascents and descents.  It was quite rocky at times, with some flat rock slabs to run on too.  As another guy correctly put it, you can’t get into any rhythm.  It was a tricky downhill, a short flat and then another uphill over and over again.  I had been thanking Wayne earlier, but now I wanted to curse him.

A lot of us were hiking the very technical parts.  There were some cool rocky parts, including this uphill scramble.  That was about the only part I did well on.  Otherwise, I was running slowly and often I was passed.

We were only on this part for a few miles, but it seemed to take forever.  My watch had lost signals, so I had no idea what mile we were on anyway.  At first, the change of shoes helped and I felt awesome with a much lighter pair.  Now, as we went through what I dubbed “Cragland” (for the rocky glacial remnants), the left foot began to act up again.  It hurt at the bottom.

I continued on.  As I got closer and closer to Arden Valley, the foot got worse.  Eventually, I was simply run limping, even on the flat parts.  At one point, we ran by some people camping on a rock.  Another time, this guy commented that we were at the part where a guy fell on the 2012 race video from Mountain Peak Fitness.  I saw that video many times and had to laugh when it was brought up. 

I didn’t think there could be much that would annoy me more than the way my day was going.  However, two guys behind me were chatting away.  They weren’t talking about anything interesting; instead they were talking about their jobs.  I was trying to enjoy the peaceful woods and I had to hear about that.  At least they passed me after no too long.

As the foot got worse and worse, it became clear that I was going to drop.  This wasn’t the type of pain that wasn’t going to get worse and I could just ignore (like the top of foot pain at Hyner).  I think I might be developing Plantar Fasciitis.

We got to the bottom of a hill and finally things flattened out.  We followed a woods road out of there.  I knew the aid station must be close.  A rescue group was helping out a runner, who was walking.  I ran some on the woods road and then walked too.

I already knew I was dropping out, but of course they had another cruel thing in store for me.  The aid station was at the top of a paved hill.  You had to run up it and then come back down it.  Of course I was walking up it.  Finally, I got there and my dad was there.  I grabbed a couple drinks and some food and told them I was dropping out.

I was disappointed to DNF for the first time.  I was happy that I didn’t quit earlier and that I pushed through until an injury forced me out.  I could’ve run/hiked for a while longer, but there was no point in doing more damage.  I wasn’t going to finish 50 miles on this day.  My body has been calling for rest for weeks, so now it will get some.

I certainly don’t regret my decision and I don’t get too worked up, but it does eat at me a little.  I would like to try another 50 miler now and eventually, I’ll come back to this one.  Maybe I’ll finish the 50K first though.

I had to grab all of my bags.  I saw Wayne going strong near the midway point.  I ran into Melissa from Trail WhippAss at the finish line.  She was done with her 50K and we chatted for a bit.  I got passed by quite a few people from Trail WhippAss during the race, but I simply didn’t have the energy to say anything to them.    

I am never one to fear bad races.  I love to use them as a learning tool.  Unfortunately for me, it is a little more than just the occasional bad race.  Most of my ultras are bad and I simply survive them.  Today, it was too much for me and my body.  I now have most of the summer off and a lot of time to think and evaluate how I can improve.  I’m not that competitive any more, but I just want to have smoother and better races.

About 7 months ago, I began a crazy stretch of trying to do a lot of ultras.  The thought process was that I could get used to them and run stronger.  While my mind has learned how to handle a lot of different conditions, my body clearly has not.  I still often find my legs fatigued much earlier in a race than I think they should be.  That messes with my head, which another area I have to get stronger with.  I have improved some over the last 7 months, but not as much as I’ve expected.

I started to improve my in race fueling and that has helped.  Now, I have to improve my prerace fueling.  Today was the first time that that cost me big.  I also have to get stronger, especially my legs.  I hate lifting weights, but I’m going to have to do that some.  I need to change up my training too.  I need a nice mix of things.  I need challenging climbs and descents, technical running and fast running.  I haven’t run fast much in the last 7 months.  I need to add some time of speedwork and hill repeats.  I’ve gained a lot of weight over the last year and if I can improve my nutrition and drop some of that weight, it will be a big help too.

I learned far more today than I would have if I cruised through this thing.  I’ll be taking most of the summer off from racing, since I hate the heat.  Instead, I’ll put focus back in on my training.  First, I’ll have to heal my foot up though.  

Bear Mountain, you may have won today, but I will get my revenge one day.  Live and learn.

14.2 miles - 3:23:56 (14:22 pace) 3205 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment