Friday, May 15, 2015

Back to the Emmaus Trails

I tend to stick to a lot of the same trails.  I love trails with big climbs or lots of rocks.  I like the challenge.  Today, I wasn't very motivated to run.  Therefore, I decided to head to South Mountain (Emmaus) to run somewhere that I don't go to very often.

There is nothing wrong with the trails there actually.  They are really nice and a lot of fun.  It is just a far drive for me and the trail system doesn't have a lot of miles.  It is mostly best for shorter runs, which I was planning on today.  I had not run there since I organized a group run there last year.  That was almost a year ago.

The weather was nice, around 75 degree and a little humid.  However, that was still too warm for me.  Even going slow in the early going, I was breathing heavy.  I had on a short sleeve shirt.  I actually had some chafing issues when I was done.

I ran along the flat stone section first.  This provides a good warmup before doing some climbing.  I passed a group of school students with their teacher.  The school day was likely over by that point.

I was then on to the Orange Trail.  This is a fun singletrack.  It is mostly smooth with some rocks and climbing here and there.  I ran pretty much all of this part. 

When I organized the run here last year, I couldn't find the Red Trail for some reason.  I now knew it was near the giant boulders.  I found it this time and headed out on the singletrack.  I was breathing heavy and tried to keep a slow pace.  I couldn't go much slower though, unless I just started hiking.

Eventually, I came out to a powerline and a view.  I've always had trouble finding the other trails in this area.  There's another powerline and I ran past it.  I then found the Purple Trail that I was looking for.

This trail was tough as it was singletrack in the woods, but basically the same grade as the powerline parallel to it.  I wasn't sure how long the steep climb would go, so I hiked a bit of it.

I then came out to the powerline.  I crossed over and found the continuation of the Purple Trail.  I followed that for a bit.  I was really enjoying this trail and appreciating how much fun it was.  I should definitely run these trails more often.  The were pretty on a lovely spring day too.

I then came out on the Red Trail again.  I was now at a different part of it.  I can't quite remember, but I think I climbed a little bit.  Then I came out to what I guess was the Blue Trail.  It almost looked purple.  I ran on this for awhile and came to the powerline again.  I thought this was the same Purple Trail from earlier, but it wasn't.  I headed back to where I came from and found the other loop of the Blue Trail.

I was around 4 miles at this point.  I was going to run the Yellow Trail for a bit, but I wasn't quite sure how long the loop was and how to get back down the mountain.  Therefore, I simply went back and followed the Blue Trail.  This was fun now that I was descending most of the time.

Eventually, I was back into the Red Trail.  There were some quite steep and rocky parts.  I went pretty fast now.  I then rejoined the Orange Trail to finish this loop.  There were a couple small stream crossings and a lot of fun downhills.

I was finally on the flat at the bottom.  I ran back on the connector trail and finished up the run.  I was over 6 miles when I was done.  It was the perfect way to spend the afternoon.

I really enjoyed the run.  No doubt that I would come here more if it was closer.  Still, I should at least get there a couple times a year.  They are good trails and probably awesome trails for speedwork too.  I could really push it on this singletrack.

I have a party to go to tomorrow afternoon.  I'm hoping to run some in the morning.  If I do that, I'll be beating the heat too.  Maybe I can run at Lehigh Gap.  That could be fun.  I haven't been there since the winter.  I might run with Destrie on Sunday.

 6.21 miles - 1:11:11 (11:28 pace) 657 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment