Friday, May 29, 2015

A Little Longer at Lehigh

I've done some biking and walking, but this combo of heat and humidity is making it tough for me to get out and run.  I had to do it today though.  I waited until the evening, when I hoped it would be cooler.  I headed to Lehigh to run around South Mountain.

Of course it was still in the upper 80s when I started.  I went shirtless, so that helped some, but it was still muggy.  I wore these shorts that aren't very good in the heat and sure enough, they were soaked by the end of the run.

Knowing how hot and humid it would be, I tried to take it even easier.  It does help that this route begins with some downhill.  I had a lot of fun on it and tried to work on my downhill technical a little.  I do take small, choppy steps.  However, I usually lean forward too much, I think.  It is something I'll keep practicing, but it seemed pretty good today.

The downhill was fun, but I knew I would be encountering some uphill after crossing the first road.  I tried to reduce my stride and slowly climb.  My breathing was labored, but it wasn't too heavy.  What made things tough is it flattens out for a bit and then there is another climb.  There isn't much time to recover in between.

There is a temptation to go faster when the trail flattens out between climbing sections.  However, I tried to back off and save myself.  That seemed to work for awhile.  When I was near the top though, I gave in and hiked.  I was mad at myself when I realized that I only hiked about .04 miles.  I thought I was further away from the highest part.

After that, I cruised downhill.  I noticed some disc golfers up above on the course.  I usually don't see any when I come through that area.  I also noticed the pink ribbons were moved around.  I think they are my pink ribbons, but someone switched them.  Luckily, I know the trail by now.

I left the disc golf area and it was on to the technical downhill.  I had fun with this, but I was tiring.  This course doesn't have a lot of recovery opportunities, so it is hard to even find good places to drink my water.  It was getting dark and seeing the rocks was a little tough now too.

For some reason, people were parked off the road but near it when I got to the road.  I ran along, past the overlook of the City of Bethlehem.  Then, it was back on to trail.  There was a little more climbing involved.  My goal was to take it slow.

It was tough getting up the hill, but it is gradual and I managed to make it without hiking again.  The only other eventful part was all the deer running away from me.  In this short run, I must've seen over 10 deer. 

I went to the normal section where I turn to head back onto the pavement.  This time, I turned left and started descending on the rocky switchbacks.  That was fun.  I don't often add this part around the side of the mountain, but it is great, so I'll have to do it more frequently.

I continued to take it easy.  However, there was definitely some climbing and I was losing it.  I knew the last climb would be nearly impossible.  At one point, the climbing just became too much and I started hiking and then stopped my watch to hike back.

I should've hiked a bit and then ran, as the trail leveled out quickly.  One bonus to hiking is I found a new, super steep trail.  It was a shortcut, but it was also brutal to hike up.  It will be a perfect place to practice downhill running and uphill hiking on repeats.  If I get into the Escarpment Run, I will be there a lot.  I've been looking for something this steep for years.  I'm so thrilled to have finally found it.

Tomorrow, I'm hoping to run again.  I was considering Mt. Tammany, but not sure.  That climb will be brutal with more heat and it will crowded for sure.  Someone from T.W.A. said they would join me, but I haven't heard back from them.  Oh well.

5.24 miles - 55:40 (10:37 pace) 606 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment