Thursday, May 7, 2015

Speeding Up

I've biked a few times since Bear Mountain, but for the most part, I've rested.  I didn't run, as I'm trying to heal up.  Nothing really hurts, but my feet bother me slightly.  I decided to give running a try tonight.

It was unseasonably warm, even in the evening.  It was still over 80 degrees.  I wore a sleeveless shirt for the first time.  I had on my visor, but that became too hot.  I wore my old shoes to be safe.

The plan was for just a short run at South Mountain (Lehigh).  I haven't been there in the evening since it was dark and snowy.  I looked forward to a nice evening run, even if it was on the hot side.  At least the leaves are coming in nicely and I knew there would be shade.

I figured I would run the typical loop and if I felt good, keep going around the other side of the mountain to run another mile or so.  I do like that this run starts at the top of the mountain and I can run downhill to begin with.

Normally, I run almost all of my runs nice and easy and try to be consistent.  I've decided that I need to mix things up.  Therefore, I pushed a little bit on the early downhill.  This part is fun and fast and semi technical.  I twisted an ankle once, but overall, I just flew downhill.

Going hard was fun, but it had me breathing heavy.  I turned about halfway down the hill, to cross the road.  Some of the pink ribbons I put up last year are there still, but not all of them.  For others, this route might be a little hard to follow.  However, I know it by heart.

I crossed the road at a decent pace and ran along the fun, flat singletrack.  Then, I got to the first ascent.  It is short and semi steep.  If I'm not going hard, I can run up it.  However, I was pushing earlier and breathing heavy, so I had to hike.  That slowed my first mile to 9:38

I hiked most of the hill and then ran again when it flattened out.  I tried to run up the next gradual climb, but my breathing just continued to labor.  I hiked rather than forcing myself to run.  By now, my strategy was to take it easy when I couldn't run, but to run hard on the flats and downhills.

At the top, I picked my effort up again and started breathing heavy again.  I was flying, pushing hard, but also having fun.  I only ate 1 hour and 30 minutes before the run.  My stomach had not settled.  I ended up burping up some of my food.  At least I didn't throw up though.  Mile 2 was a 10:00.

Next, it was on to the most technical part of the course.  It was fun, because I was blasting downhill and making good time for the most part.  I saw my first deer of the run here.  I saw 6 total throughout the run.  A few of the rocks hurt my feet, but overall, it wasn't bad.

I was really tiring though.  I'm not used to this weather yet and I pushed too hard in the first two miles.  I had to hike some slight uphills now.  I ran a lot of this mile though, especially when I got on to the road to the overlook.  Mile 3 was a 9:15.

I then climbed the short climb, before running some flats for a bit.  That didn't last though, as I came to a gradual uphill.  Again, this section is very runnable, if you are cautious.  I had burned myself out badly though.  I did run a little of the ascent, but not much of it.  It was mostly a hike.

I ran some of the rocky part near the top, by the road.  Mile 4 was a much slower, 11:28.  I had hoped to run a sub 10 minute pace per mile, but this mile just slowed me too much and I was simply too tired.

I ran the flat part of the road.   I ran some of the uphill paved steps between the road, but not much of it.  I was exhausted and wanted to be done.  Finally, I ran on in on the flat part and finished at just over 4.5 miles.

Most importantly, I didn't have any foot issues.  I was happy that I went out and tested myself.  Even if I pushed too far in the early heat, it was fun.  I need to mix up my training for sure and get out of my comfort zone.

Tomorrow, I'll probably ride again.  I haven't ruled out running, but I don't think I'll be doing that.  I do need to break in my new shoes a little and work on getting used to zero drop.  Most likely, I won't run again until Saturday.  I have no idea where that would be yet, but I would like to get in double digit miles.

4.51 miles - 45:56 (10:11 pace) 666 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment