Monday, May 25, 2015

Humid Jacobsburg

It was a long trip back from Indianapolis and I was exhausted today.  Therefore, only a short run was in the cards.  After dinner, I went to Jacobsburg for a 6 miler.  I haven't been there in awhile.

I headed out to start around 7 PM.  That was nice with the sun setting, but it was still hot by my standards, even with shade.  It was over 80 degrees and humid.  I wore a singlet and shorts.  By the end of the short run, my nipples were chafing and beginning to bleed.  I guess I'm probably done wearing shirts for the year.

Since it is Memorial Day, the park was quite crowded.  I saw a bunch of hikers and people swimming along the main path.  I was taking it easy and cruising along.  I tried to enjoy myself, but the humidity makes it tough.

I ran along and crossed the road.  The gradual, short uphills that should be easy were a challenge.  Not only was the humidity a problem, but I'm sure my heavy dinner wasn't settled either.

I saw a small deer along the trail in this part.  It then hopped quickly into the woods.  I didn't see much else on the run.  I knew my pace was a little over 9 minute miles.  I was hoping maybe I could get under that.  First, I had to survive.

The singletrack was fun, as I went along.  Again, the short hills by the 3 road crossings were a slight struggled.  I pushed on and tried to stay consistent.  My breathing was slightly labored, but not too bad.  I just felt like I might throw up.  Luckily, I didn't.  I drank a good amount of water, although I probably never drink enough.

I passed some people walking their dog shortly before the powerline.  Then, I followed someone who looked like Ryan, but he didn't go up the powerline, so I wasn't sure if it was him.  I later saw him after I finished, but he was doing more miles, so we didn't chat much.

Pushing through the powerline would of course be physical, but it was the mental part that was the toughest.  I knew I could run it slowly, but it wouldn't be easy and my breathing would hurt.  I did run it all and I guess I didn't lose too much time.  I was still a bit over a 9 minute per mile pace.

Now, it was on to the final 2 miles or so.  I looked forward to this part, as it was mostly downhill and then flat.  I ripped off some faster miles.  I could've pushed even harder too, but I was working hard enough.  I was making up time too.  I ran an 8:32 mile.

With the road, I knew the last mile would be even faster.  I watched my pace closely and saw it was now under 9 minutes per mile.  I was thrilled.  A lot of people were out fishing, as I crossed over the road.

I ran back to my car with just over an 8 minute mile.  I was disappointed that it was slightly over 6 miles.  Still, it was a good run and I survived the heat and humidity.  I beat my goal pace and finished faster, as I usually do on this route.  Maybe I'm slowly adapting to the heat now.

I'm not sure if I'll run again tomorrow or not.  I've been trying to be careful with my foot and not run too much, but it feels good after this run.  Maybe I'll run again.  I will definitely do that or ride my bike.

6.1 miles - 54:20 (8:54 pace) 372 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment