Monday, May 11, 2015

Humid Tammany Loop

I didn't run yesterday.  Instead, I headed to Mt. Tammany this afternoon.  I had an interview near there, so I figured I might as well run the loop.

It was super hot and humid yet again.  It got into the mid 80s.  I definitely struggled some, but it did help that I dressed better.  I wore just a singlet and short shorts.  I ran with a handheld, rather than a vest.  That helped a lot.

I knew I wouldn't be able to run much with the heat and humidity.  I figured that I would just take it easy going up and then run most of the way down.  I ran the easy early part.  I was going to run the bottom of the first rocky section.  However, I tripped on basically the first rock.  I fell and scraped my knee a little.  What a way to start.  At least I fell uphill.

At this point, it was time to hike.  I just hiked all of this rocky section.  I tried to hike fast at least.  I encountered a few hikers on this early part and the parking lot was crowded.  However, this loop wasn't as crowded as I was anticipating.

When it flattened out, I ran for a bit.  I ran until a little past the first overlook.  It was getting a little steep after that and just too hot for me.  I didn't want to have my breathing too labored.  I hiked some more.

I ran again when it flattened out, until the rockiest section.  This part had me very worried.  I haven't run here very often when rattlesnakes could be out.  I was so careful with every step.  On the rockiest parts, that wasn't easy.  I was so focused and scanning the trail.

Since I was looking for rattlesnakes, I didn't notice the heat quite as much.  Certainly the shade was helping too.  It was much more green than it had been in some time.  I did miss the green for sure.

I had to hike most of the rest of the way to the top.  My back started to hurt, as I was almost there.  I was sweating a lot too.  I ran a little before the top.  I then took my usual photo from the summit.

It was now time to run.  I was on the Blue Trail.  That is super rocky and I was a little beat.  I ran most of it, but did hike here and there.  I was twisting my ankles at times.

Finally, I was on to the downhill.  I had to be careful on some of the very steep and rocky stuff.  I ran most of it, but very slow.  I did open it up where I could.  I was very focused on the trail, still looking for rattlesnakes.

I ran behind some teenagers that were hiking.  They must have thought I was crazy.  I always love flying down technical stuff while others are cautious just hiking.  I ran by some other people later.  I told them I was having fun now that I was running downhill.

Eventually, I was to the bottom.  I was a bit slower than I would've liked, but not too bad.  I got on the AT and headed to the parking lot.  There were a lot of hikers there and I had to go around them.  I got back to my car in over 56 minutes.

I wanted to get 4 miles in.  Therefore, I headed back up the AT briefly.  I ran until I hit the 1 hour mark.  That was at 3.82 miles.  I had some elevation gain too.  I then ran downhill to the car to finish.  It was a solid and productive run.

My foot didn't hurt during the run.  However, it did hurt a little afterward.  I have to be careful to watch how much I run.  I rode my bike in the evening and might ride again tomorrow.  I'm busy this week, so not sure when I'll run again.  I guess it could be tomorrow, but if not, probably not until Thursday.

4.15 miles - 1:03:21 (15:15 pace) 1297 feet of elevation gain
14th Mt. Tammany Summit of the year

No comments:

Post a Comment