Monday, May 25, 2015

Eagle Creek Park Indianapolis (Thursday)



We are in Indianapolis now for the Indy 500.  We do this every year.  In the past, I’d just run some of the rail or canal trails.  Now, I’m only running true trails.  Finding places to run in Indianapolis would be tough.
 
Luckily, we’ve been here enough and I know they have a trail system not far from the track.  It’s called Eagle Creek Park.  I knew I’d be running there.  I also knew it has a fee, which I found out is $6.  That might be good for a family hanging out all day, but it is hardly worth it for an hour run.

The weather was tricky.  It was actually super cold earlier in the day.  The sun was finally peeking out when I started at 3 PM.  I went with short sleeves and shorts.  That was perfect and with the pace being fairly quick; I was even sweating quite a bit.

I parked in the southern lot and it turns out that was perfect.  I was planning to run one of the main trails, the Red Trail.  It was shown as a 6.75 mile loop.  That was a little farther than I would’ve liked, but it would do.  I knew this trail would be flat and fast anyway, so I could cover that distance in almost an hour.  This surely wouldn’t be anywhere near as rugged as my Pennsylvania trails.

I grabbed some water and started the loop in the counterclockwise direction.  That would leave me with some neat running along the reservoir at the end of the run.  The trail was nice and smooth and pretty wide.  It was a wide singletrack.

I was impressed with the trail.  Despite being easy, it was pretty.  It was windy and a lot of fun.  There were some early ups and downs that surprised me too.  I wasn’t expecting that, although it wasn’t too difficult.  The trail flowed beautifully through the trees.

Some early parts went on to old roads.  I wasn’t too fond of that, but those segments didn’t last long.  I went by an ice skating pond which didn’t have any ice obviously.  In the beginning, I was worried because I didn’t see many signs and blazes.  However, the trails were easy to follow and there were signs at every intersection.  I didn’t get lost.

There were a few hikers out here and there.  I came across 3 or 4 runners going the other way.  I’m always surprised at how unfriendly all the runners are out here.  No one says hello.  I don’t expect that from people in the Midwest, but now I’m used to it.

I stopped for a lot of early photos.  My pace was somewhere over 9 minutes per mile for the first couple miles.  The pace was good, but the stops were slowing me down.  I was pushing at a moderate effort, as my breathing was labored slightly.

I came through a fitness trail section, with equipment.  That is something I have no interest in doing on a trail run.  I was hoping not to lose the trail here, because the signs weren’t great, but I didn’t.

Shortly after that and some flowing singletrack, I came to reservoir section.  This part was a stone path in between two bodies of water.  That was neat and it was fast.  I picked it up and was getting closer and closer to having my overall pace dip below 9 minutes per mile.  I took a few quick photos, but not much.

After running between the two bodies of water, it was on to maybe the most fun section of the run.  There was a steep up to start this part.  It was short, but it slowed my blazing pace slightly.  I was pushing quite hard now, as I was around mile 4.  This part was very winding.  At one point, I had to even duck under branches and fly around corners.  It was still not technical, so I wasn’t slowed much.  There were these interesting obstacles in the trees in this area too.  

Apparently, it is some sort of park you pay more to climb around.  It did look like fun.  Some dogs on leashes wanted to run with me here.  I had to dodge a few hikers too.  I was happy to get to mile 5 under 45 minutes (a sub 9 minute per mile pace).  I was cruising for sure.

They had some nice steps and bridges throughout the trails too.  They were well maintained trails.  I was breathing a little heavy still, but happy to not fall off.  My pace remained steady, as I drank from my handheld.

I came to a rowing area.  I figured I had about a mile left.  Shortly after that, I was on a road and then realized I was already at my car.  I finished up just past the parking lot, to get 6 miles.  It was sub 54 minutes (a sub 9 minute pace).

Although I paid basically a dollar per mile run, it was a nice park and a fun workout.  Since the trails were easy, I pushed myself more.  I rarely do that these days.  I definitely need to incorporate some faster trail runs into my routine.  Decent summer weather would allow me to do that more.

Tomorrow is a busy day on the track.  We usually skip the concert in the afternoon.  That will give me time to run again.  I’d like to go to Eagle Creek Park again, but not sure I want to pay to do so.  I may try a different park, if I can find one close enough to here.  Maybe I’ll park nearby and hike in to Eagle Creek Park and save three dollars.  Whether I run or not tomorrow, I’m sure I’ll run on Saturday.  There is no action at the track then.  I’m thinking I might go to the Hoosier National Forest, a few hours away.

6 miles - 53:55 (8:59 pace) 125 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment