Saturday, May 30, 2015

Busy Day on Tammany

I had no one to run with, so I got out after lunch.  I headed up to Mt. Tammany.  I was hoping to run two loops.  When I arrived, I came across one of the things I worried about running there in the summertime.  It was overcrowded.  They actually had park rangers controlling the parking in the trailhead lot, as well as the lot along the river.  I had to drive back to Pennsylvania to start the run.

It was hot and humid when I started.  I ran without a shirt.  I just had a handheld.  I was soaked and exhausted by the finish.  The starting and finishing made it worse too.

Since I had to park in PA, I had to run over the bridge.  I was exposed to the sun and it was nearly 1.5 miles until I actually hit the trailhead.  I felt like I was running slowly, but looking at my garmin data, maybe I wasn't.

I asked the rangers if this is a typical summer Saturday and they said it was.  I guess I might have to get there earlier next time.  Because of the road running in the sun, I was already pretty beat when I got to Mt. Tammany.  With it being so hot, I knew it was going to be mostly a hike up.

The trail was busy for sure.  I passed a family with a dog early on.  I passed several more hikers too.  Still, the early steep and rocky section was quite the challenge.  I was breathing heavy already and struggling.  I battled on.

I ran where I could, but that was rare.  I knew most of the running would be on the descent.  I didn't stop at the first overlook.  Shortly after that, some guy was being filmed faking an injury on the trail or something like that.  I don't know, but I wasn't amused.  I was glad to not encounter any wildlife or bears on this run.

I made it up the rockiest section, but was still struggling.  I guess I do hike quite fast now.  I saw quite a few hikers resting.  I wanted to do that, but it was just better to push on.  This was a dangerous day for less experienced hikers to be out there.

I went past a couple young ladies.  Of course, I had to run a little after that.  I wish I could run more of the uphill.  I feel like I could now, if only the weather were better.  I need to run slower when I do.

I was kind of surprised to see how quickly I made it to the top.  It was my typical time.  I thought with the heat that it would be slower.  I guess I wasn't hiking any more than usual.

It had been tough getting to the top.  There was a breeze at times.  However, it was still brutal.  If I didn't know the route so well, I might've rested more on the way up.  Near the end, two beautiful young ladies were hiking down.  They looked like twins.  They inspired me to run.   

I didn't stop long at the summit.  I took a photo and was off and running.  I ran on the Blue Trail for a bit.  Even then, I was exhausted running on the flats, over rocks.  I hiked some of that.  I heard a light rattling sound.  Then I heard a few more.  I guess they were grasshoppers, not rattlesnakes.

It was great to get to the downhill portion of the Blue Trail.  I was looking into technical downhill running technique recently.  I think I need to lean back a little more when I run downhill.  I did that and felt like I was flying.

I ran by a bunch of hikers.  One group, I came to at the steepest part.  They moved over and I think I amazed them with how I flew down that technical part and was making quick decisions.  I still don't feel like I'm that fast on this stuff, but I bet I could destroy myself from several years ago.

On an easier section, I encountered a trail running danger.  I tripped on one rock.  That changed my path and I twisted the other ankle on a different rock.  Luckily, it didn't hurt and I went on.

A family was trying to take a photo on another section.  I ended up photobombing them, as I flew by.  I really enjoyed this part of the run.

At the bottom of the Blue Trail, a couple hikers asked if they were heading the correct way to the top.  I told them that they were.  They and their dogs were thankful.

The trail was so busy that they had a ranger at the junction of the AT.  I guess to make sure people going to Sunfish Pond headed the correct way, as opposed to the Mt. Tammany group.  I had to dodge a bunch of hikers on the AT and nearly stepped on a small dog that I didn't see.

It was good to finish the loop.  I just wished my running would be done then.  Unfortunately, I had to get back to the car.  I was back on the pavement and concrete.  This would be a little faster pace, but the sun was brutal.  I ran/hiked this part too.  I was thrilled to get back to my car and finish up.

I'm not sure if I would've done a second loop anyway, but having to do the out and back to my car to get water made it a definite "no" this time.  I toweled off, poured water over my head and hung out around my car for a long time before heading home.  I was beat after this short run.  Of course, a few showers came by on the way home.

Tomorrow, I'm not sure what I'm doing.  Dave is going up there and I'm almost tempted to join him.  It will be later again though and crowded I'm sure.  Maybe I'll bike instead of running.  Monday is supposed to be much, much cooler.  I'm tempted to try 3 or 4 Mt. Tammany loops then.

6.56 miles - 1:23:36 (12:44 pace) 1278 feet of elevation gain
15th Mt. Tammany summit of the year

No comments:

Post a Comment