Monday, May 25, 2015

Morgan-Monroe State Forest Indiana (Saturday)



I got out kind of later than anticipated yesterday afternoon, so I didn’t run.  With no track activity today, of course I had to run.  Rather than go to Eagle Creek Park again, I decided to explore.  Indiana University is about an hour south of Indianapolis.  I decided to check out their campus and run some trails around there.

I didn’t have this too planned out.  I looked briefly at the nearby Morgan-Monroe State Forest.  I didn’t have a map with me though.  I really wanted to go to the Hoosier National Forest, south of Bloomington, but I had no clue where to go there.  I’d never even looked at a map.  Rather than waste time searching for that, I went to the Morgan-Monroe State Forest.  That turned out to be an excellent decision.

The Morgan-Monroe State Forest was on the way back to Indianapolis too.  I also saw the sign for it coming in.  I drove there and it was several miles in until the trailheads and the offices.  I saw a great parking area with a sign for a 10 mile loop.  That seemed like a good idea; however, I figured I should pick up a State Forest map at the office first.  I did that and then helpful lady showed me the trail I drove past earlier and another trail that was about 10 miles and another loop.  I opted for the first loop that I saw.

This was called the Low Gap Trail.  The parking area was crowded, but I managed to grab a parking spot of someone who was leaving.  I figured that with a few cars, there would be people hiking in case I happened to get lost.  Luckily, the trail was very well marked and that didn’t happen.

I needed Tailwind since this was a long run and it is nearly summertime.  Normal folks would’ve called this a nice day for a run.  For me and my body, it was still too hot.  I probably would’ve been going carrying a handheld, but wearing a vest was hot.  It was needed though.  I was soaked and nearly chafing by the end of the run.  It wasn’t as bad the middle of summer, but it made me struggle a bit.
I started off the loop following the signs.  I ran it in a counterclockwise direction.  It started off with some fun singletrack and I was impressed.  I thought it would be a fun run.  Then, I wasn’t sure as shortly after that, I hit a stone covered woods road.  About the only parts of the trail with any rocks were man made ones on the woods roads.

Thankfully, this section didn’t last.  I was back on singletrack a short while later.  This was beautiful flowing singletrack through the forest throughout most of the run.  The early part of it dropped a lot down to a relatively dry riverbed.  It was nice to not have to run through here in the wet season, as the trail sometimes appeared to be the creek.  The scenery was very pretty.  

I ran along the bottom for a little while, and then there was a climb.  It wasn’t bad though.  All the climbs here were made much easier by a lot of switchbacks.  Basically, the entire route was runnable, but I did hike a couple times, to be safe.  There was also an interesting rock overhang in this section.

I cruised along, making good times.  I did take quite a few photos, so that slowed me.  There was a pond that the trail wrapped around at one point.  Then, the trail had an intersection with a shorter loop.  The long way headed into the “backcountry.”  It really wasn’t much “backcountry” and this section was even fairly crowded.  I came across quite a few hikers, including some people with overnight packs.  Later on, I saw some people camping too.

This singletrack was fun and fast.  There was way more elevation change than I expected, so I was very impressed.  It reminded me kind of like a mini version of my WV race.  It was flat running on the ridge or creek at the bottom for a lot of time and then there were several decent ascents and descents too.

About halfway through, there was a road crossing and a big parking area.  This was packed.  They called this the “Backcountry” parking area.  When yappy little princess dogs can hike it, it isn’t really very “backcountry.”

It was flat and smooth along the creek, but quickly climbed as I headed toward mile 6.  I was feeling the heat a bit now.  The climb forced me to hike in spots to be safe.  Had I known what I was up ahead on this route, I would’ve probably pushed through each climb.

I wasn’t crazy about the fast downhill parts.  I knew I started at the top, so even if I flew downhill, I’d be coming back to the top eventually.  That happened as I ran down to the creek.  There were a bunch of boy scouts in the one small creek.  There was nice and flat running for a bit.

Then, around mile 6.5, I started a gradual ascent.  I had to hike this and be careful.  I was doing well though, with the Tailwind preventing me from crashing.  I was just a little hot.  Any chance of running under a 10 minute per mile pace was dashed when I had to hike the hill here.

The trail eventually came out to another woods road.  With a lot of up and down, I kind of needed that.  It would be fast, even if it wasn’t fun.  I crossed the paved road again, as I was heading back.  After that was the worst section of the run.  It was medium sized stones that were very annoying to run on.  I ran on the side of the trail in the small section of dirt wherever I could.

The road split after some time.  I took the wrong way and came to private property.  Luckily, I could bushwhack a short distance to the correct trail.  I came to a parking area at one point and realized it was the other parking area I saw before.  I still had just over a mile to go.

Now, I was having more fun as I was back on to rolling singletrack at the top of the ridge.  Even though I enjoyed it, I was happy to be nearly done.  It was frustrating when I saw another parking area that wasn’t where I started.  The map said it was 10 miles, but the sign at the start did say 10.2 miles.  That was more accurate.

I passed some hikers with dogs, just before finishing.  I had over 10 miles and a solid and productive day.  There weren’t any standout features on this run, but it was definitely some fun and beautiful singletrack.  There was way more elevation gain than I anticipated.  Who knew that Indiana had hills?   
I’ll likely be back here next year to run.  It was a good workout, in addition to being fun.  I was a bit wiped out at the end.Tomorrow is the race, so I definitely won’t be running then.  We’ll be traveling Monday and I’ll be exhausted.  However, I’m hoping to run somewhere in the evening.  We’ll be home, so it will be local.  I look forward to it, although I have had fun out here.

10.24 miles - 1:45:23 (10:17 pace) 940 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment