Tuesday, April 28, 2015

First Tammany Spring Run

My plan for the week was to rest the foot some more and maybe run with Destrie.  However, the foot is feeling pretty good.  Today was a nearly perfect day too, so I couldn't resist.  I haven't been to Mt. Tammany yet since the snow has melted, so I decided to get up there for one loop.  It would be another great way to test the new New Balance shoes as well.

It was a great day, as the sun was out and it was in the 60s.  The sun was setting in the evening, when I started.  I did sweat quite a bit, as I tried to run a lot early on.  I had on shorts and a short sleeve shirt.  I was cool on top of the ridge and on the downhill part of the run.

I'm always ambitious when I start running here.  For some weird reason, I think that maybe I'll be able to run a lot of the climb.  Of course I never do and I never learn.  I even tried to take it very slow, but that still didn't help.

I ran the steps in the beginning.  I then ran along the flat part.  I was going slow and doing fairly well on the first steep and rocky section.  However, my breathing started to labor, even going slow.  My legs weren't burning though.  That didn't last, I got up about 250 feet from the start and it just became too much.  I could've pushed a little farther, but it wasn't worth it.

I began to hike.  I probably hiked the second half of that first section.  The problem with running so much and getting out of breath was that I couldn't recover.  When it flattened out, I ran some more, but still was laboring with my breathing.

I continued to move along.  There was still a lot of hiking.  I knew it was a rocky trail of course, but really I forgot just how rocky it actually is.  At least I can hike faster then in the past.

The super rocky section is even tough to hike.  It is so uneven that you have to watch your footing.  Obviously, I've become much better at this too.  I can't wait to keep making progress there.

I was sweating a lot now.  I ran where I could, but still hiked most of the way up.  I smelled weed around 1,000 feet up.  Who would hike that much to smoke a joint?  I never did see the person.  I saw no one on the entire ascent.

I got to the overlook around 27 minutes into the run/hike.  It was good to have that out of the way.  I took a photo of the setting sun.  I didn't stay long, as I was trying to make good time.  I took a few quick photos, but not many.

Now, it was on the Blue Trail.  The ridge is super rocky, but fun.  It is all runnable at least.  I cruised along, looking for the best place to put my feet.  Before I knew it, I was on the turn to the descent.

There were now plenty more rocks.  Rocks, rocks, rocks and rocks.  That was the story of the run.  I did run most of the way down.  It depends on what you consider running I guess.  I was picking my way down slowly.  It was fun though.

I did hike down one gnarly section.  Then, I forced myself to get back to running.  The bottom of my feet were really hurting on the rocks.  I also stubbed my toe at one point.  I won't be able to wear those New Balance shoes this weekend.  Running 50 miles on rocks will just be too much for them.

I came to a family of hikers.  Luckily, I ran into them where the trail had two paths.  I took the other one and went by them.  They were the only people I saw all day.  They must've thought I was crazy running down that crap.

After seeing them, the trail flattened out a bit and got smooth.  I opened it up.  This last part was such a blast.  It went back to rocky and times, but I kept flying.  It was a fun downhill dance.  I had to adjust my stride and pace often and the terrain changed.  It was good downhill practice.  This was much slower than in winter though.

Eventually, I made it to the bottom of the Blue Trail.  I crossed over the waterfall bridge and opened it up.  When I got to the AT and that smooth downhill, I really started flying.  I was having a lot of fun now.  Most of the rocks were gone.

I finished up back at the car.  It was before 52 minutes.  It took me a few minutes less to go from the overlook down as it did to get up there.  It was a decent time and a good run, but I was definitely faster in the winter.

I had a great day out there.  I'm going to have to take a chance and run in the Lone Peaks this weekend.  I don't have much other choice at this point.  If they bother the top of my feet, then so be it.  I can't destroy the bottom of my feet though.

Tomorrow, I may or may not run with Destrie.  I'm considering driving down to Delaware regardless.  Maybe I'll just run there on my own.  I would like to get one more run in before my race.  Maybe I'll even take a chance and wear my Lone Peaks.

3.38 miles - 51:44 (15:17 pace) 1184 feet of elevation gain
13th Summit of Tammany in 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment