Monday, April 6, 2015

Return of Rocksylvania

Things have been tough in the last week, trying to recover from back to back weeks with an ultra.  My foot doesn't bother me during the day, but continues to bother me during runs.  Ideally, I would've taken today off.  However, the weather was just too beautiful to pass up.

It was nearly 70 degrees out, even when I ran late in the evening.  I wasn't used to it and sweating and breathing heavily in the beginning.  Luckily, the sun started setting and it felt quite nice toward the end.

Of course, I could've opt for an easy run, but I rarely do.  I have the rocky Bear Mountain 50 miler in a month.  I wanted to get some time on the terrible rocks of the Appalachian Trail.  I headed to Wind Gap to run the worst section that I can find.  The snow was finally gone and the rocks were back.

I headed northbound from the parking lot.  I started off with some nice and slow running.  I was climbing and breathing a little heavy, but I thought I was doing okay.  Going southbound has a series of switchbacks.  They make it much easier.  This way is straight up.

I thought I made pretty good progress, before I had to hike.  I laughed when I looked at my watch and saw that I only gained less than 200 feet.  I was breathing and sweating too much.  Maybe I could've really pushed myself and made the entire climb, but I didn't want to force it.  Instead, I hiked the rest of the way to the top.  It was a slow first mile.

It was nice to get to the top, sort of.  Once up there, it is mostly ridge running.  However, it is some of the toughest ridge running you will find.  This is part of the section they call "Rocksylvania."  It has so many rocks and so many uneven rocks, that it is almost not runnable.

I was able to move, but at a very slow pace.  Since I was worried about my Lone Peaks hurting the top of my foot again, I opted to switch back to my Speedcross shoes.  I couldn't tell which would be the better option, and I'm still not sure actually.  The difference in the Speedcross was noticeable almost immediately in the rocky section.  It has very little protection.

My feet were taking small, uncomfortable stabs.  I knew these shoes sucked on rocks, but I didn't appreciate the difference until I switched to Lone Peaks and then back to these.  At one point, a rock got me good and it was very painful.

The worst section of rocks was definitely between miles 1 and 2.  There was a short smooth section, but not short enough.  With it being so early in the season, most of the woods were clear and you could see far off to the side.  The problem was that I wasn't able to view more than about 18 inches on each side.  I had to remain so focused on the rocky trail.

These rocks always destroy me and caused me to go so slow.  I've usually come into a run wanting to go out farther, but I end up turning early.  Around mile 2 is a service road crossing.  I haven't ever got out much past this.  I was determined to get to mile 3 today.

Between miles 2 and 3 was slightly less rocky.  The trail was along the ridge though and sloped a little.  It made the footing kind of tricky.  I ran along as best I could.  It was still slowly.

Right as I neared mile 3, I came up to a hiker with a pack.  He saw me, but I turned around before I ever got to him.  It was starting to get a little dark, so this was a perfect turnaround.

Heading back felt kind of good initially.  This stretch was semi quick and runnable.  At least compared to the other part of the trail.  I cruised along until the service road.

Things started to unravel in the final 2 miles.  First, I was losing my concentration a little.  I was running for nearly an hour over this crap.  I was also losing daylight.  The constant pounding of the rocks on my soft shoes were really getting to me as well.

My feet began to hurt a lot.  Both the bottom of my right foot, from hitting rocks and the top of my left foot.  That top has been the problem area.  I think it might've been fine today if I chose a more forgiving terrain or had been able to wear better shoes.

With about a mile and a half to go, I hit the worst stretch.  Last time I ran here, I remember thinking this part wasn't so bad.  With hurting feet today, it was simply awful.  I cursed some and even stopped and hiked briefly.  Mostly I tried to ignore the hurt and battle on.

It was great to be inside the final mile.  However, the damage still wasn't done.  I had to keep going.  Finally, the rocky part cleared a bit.  I still had some steep downhill running.  That hurt my foot some too.  I had to be careful, as I tripped and nearly fell.

It was great to finally get back to the parking area, even if my foot was sore.  I ran a brief out and back on this small access road.  That got me 6 miles and finished off the run.

I wish my foot would heal already.  I don't need to run a lot, but I'd rather not take off all the of next two weeks before my next race.  I iced it for a good hour this evening and I think that might've helped.  We shall see.

I definitely plan on being careful.  I surely won't run tomorrow.  I might not run on Wednesday either.  I don't know if I can take off completely yet, but I do need more rest.  A softer trail might help, as well as re-lacing my shoes so that they aren't as tight.

6 miles - 1:25:42 (14:17 pace) 840 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment