Saturday, August 2, 2014

Track Repeats and Trails

I've been doing whatever I felt like this week.  Yesterday, I never got around to running due to some storms.  Therefore, I decided to hit the track today.

It was quite nice out when I started in the afternoon.  It was actually a little cloudy and cool.  It was definitely as good as could be expected this time of year.  I decided on 200 meter repeats.  Those are certainly out of my comfort zone. 

I ran a comfortable warmup mile.  There was a woman walking the outside lane, but she finished before I ran the core of my workout.  I noticed that the backstretch had a headwind, so I started on that turn.  That meant carrying my gear out there.  I also took off the singlet for this faster stuff.

There was a hose in lane 1, so I ran in lane 2.  That works fine for short, half lap repeats like this.  The plan was for 8 of them with 200 meter active recoveries in between.  I took off for the first one.  That was a little hard, but very controlled.  It took 35.56 seconds.  It was a solid start.

I tried to keep the recoveries slow, so that I could get my breathing relatively under control for the next repeat.  The second one was good too at 34.71.  I recovered somewhat well again.  My body seems to like these short repeats.  I thought I'd hate them, but I don't.

The third one was a 34.72.  I was running pretty consistent.  The fourth one ended up being the fastest at 33.92.  I began to start struggling toward the end of these.

The other thing that made it tough is I felt like I had to go to the bathroom.  I'd get that urge after the hard repeat was over, but by the time I did the recovery segment, I felt good again.  I continued on.

The fifth repeat slipped a little to 35.72.  My legs were falling off slightly in the final 100 by now.  I tried to be as smooth and consistent as I could be.  The sixth one was run at 37.50.  This was easily my worst one.

I was starting to get a side stitch somewhere in these final two.  I thought about drinking in between the fourth and fifth ones, but they were so short that I kept going.  I only drank before and after.

The seventh one was a struggle, but I got it done at 36.87.  Finally, I was to the last one.  This time I was really going to push, even though I was tired.  It was the only one that I really pushed super hard on.  The others were quick, but not all out.  This one was run at 35.03.

I ran .93 miles to cool down.  It was a great workout.  I went outside my comfort zone.  It was short though and my body recovered pretty well.  It didn't beat me up too much.  I actually felt great afterward.  Maybe next time, I'll do the same thing, but give myself some recovery and then run a second set.

Since I felt good, I decided on an evening trail run.  That would put me up over 30 miles of running for the week.  I decided to head to South Mountain on Lehigh's campus to run.

It was very cool by then.  This time, I wore a shirt.  Since I ran pretty fast, it was soaked by the end.  I can't complain though.

I went hard at the start.  I was running under a 7 minute pace on the pavement, before I hit the trail.  I had fun flying down the trail in the beginning.  I knew the descending wouldn't last, so I wanted to take advantage.

I crossed the road and shortly after that, I was ascending.  This is the steepest and toughest climb.  It had me breathing heavy, but I wasn't stopping or slowing too much.  Mile 1 was an 8:15, with a mix of pavement and trail.

The trail was slightly overgrown, so that was a little annoying.  I had fun though.  There's a gradual climb after things flattened out.  That was tough, but I kept at it because I knew after that would be a lot of downhill.  Finally, after over a mile of ascending, I was onto some flat sections.  Knowing this course so well was a big help.

I crossed the road again.  I was glad to have no cars on the roads.  On the hill, I noticed my pace at 9:07, but it began to drop like crazy.

I opened up my stride on the downhills and I was flying.  I tried to tell myself to be careful, but I really didn't listen to myself.  Instead, I flew downhill and watched the pace get quicker.

I went so fast that I almost ran off the trail completely.  I was onto the road for a short segment.  I saw a couple people at the lookout.  Those were the only people that I had encountered.

The short climb was tough after the road crossing.  Then, it was flat or descending.  I flew through this section, trying to take advantage of it.  I was breathing pretty heavy.  I was trying to figure out if I could recover at all.

I knew the last mile to mile and a half would be tough.  While it isn't a steep ascent, it is was difficult because I was pushing so hard.  I was trying to run it under 40 minutes.  I've never done the loop that fast.

Since I couldn't get my breathing to recover, I just decided to walk briefly.  It probably wasn't even a tenth of a mile.  That was great to get my breathing back to normal.  I then hammered up the rest of the climb.

Everything was going good and I was just flying.  I was nearly at the end of the run.  Then, BOOM, I took just my third fall ever.  It hurt like hell.  I scraped my right knee and left hand.  The weird thing is that a woman was coming the other direction right at that time.  She checked on me.  I didn't see a single person on the trail the whole time.

I was pretty beat up from that, so I just stopped my watch and walked back.  I was at 3.97 miles.  I was nearly done with the route.  I probably had another tenth of a mile on the trail and some fast pavement running after that (although an uphill finish).

I was more pissed that I didn't get to finish the run than anything.  I wanted to set a personal best on this route.  I was hurting too though.  I guess I don't fall often because I don't push much on trails.  I was definitely pushing this time around.  I did trip on a couple rocks prior to the fall, but I made it through those.

I'm still a little sore, but I should be alright.  I'll likely run in the morning.  Phil wants me to run with him.  We'll see if I feel good and if I get enough sleep.  I need to start adding more morning runs.

Track Workout 4 miles - 28:35 (7:09 pace)
Trail Run 3.97 miles - 34:44 (8:45 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment