Thursday, August 28, 2014

Just Go!

Today just wasn't set up as a good run.  I was going to the Eagles game, so I rushed around.  I ate at work and then came right home and basically went out to run. 

Initially, I was going to run 8 miles.  However, I was having trouble even getting out the door, so I reduced it to 5 miles.  I just planned the long loop around the other neighborhood.

The weather was tricky.  It was  chilly at the start, due to a strong breeze.  However, it was actually humid and I ended up soaked by the end.  Sometimes, it was cool and others, I felt hot.  I had questioned whether running shirtless was a good idea, but it was.

While I struggled to get out the door, I figured I needed to at least start.  If I continued to feel awful, I could stop early.  One day, I felt terrible before the run and in the first mile and later on, I came around and felt great.

Today, I started off terrible.  I felt slow and sluggish.  My upper quads were sore.  Although they didn't bother me walking around, clearly the two hard runs yesterday had an impact.  I chugged along.  Mile 1 was a slow 9:06.  I was even surprised that it was that quick.

I continued going along, hoping things would get better.  They did after the first mile, but only slightly.  It was still a struggle.  I guess we could call these "junk" miles.  However, I did feel that I was at least benefiting mentally from this.  I was fighting through a struggle.

A week or two ago, I cruised up all of these small hills.  Today, those were tough.  I did go faster, but still felt slow.  Mile 2 was an 8:13.

The big hill around the halfway point was very difficult.  I battled it.  I just couldn't wait to be done.  I felt bloated and the legs were hurting.  I need new shoes too.  I came through mile 3 with an 8:14.

I just sputtered along.  Eventually, I came to mile 4 and it was 8:02.  At least I was almost done with this run.  I crossed the road and went past the school.  I ended the run with an 8:06 final mile, right next to my house.

The legs felt awful and I was glad to be done.  Sometimes, you have to just get out there and go.  That was the case today, although I'm not sure how much I accomplished.  It was good to get through it though.

Tomorrow, I'm not sure when or where I'll be running.  I'm hoping to hit double digit mileage and likely on trail.  There's a bunch of other stuff that I want to do too.

5 miles - 41:41 (8:20 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment