Friday, August 8, 2014

A View and Some Bears

I was thinking too much about ultra running and races and couldn't get to sleep until late last night.  Therefore, I didn't get up to run with Angie and Bob.  I wasn't feeling great in the afternoon either, so I slept some more. 

Finally, I got out there late in the afternoon.  I couldn't decide where to go, but I really had to get to some trails.  I headed to the Jim Thorpe area to try a new run.  I tried taking back roads there and it took forever. 

I didn't have much time when I arrived at the State Game Lands, east of the main part of town.  I only had time for about 4 or 5 miles.  I was going to a place called Buzzard's Point.  It sounded easy and boring, but had an amazing view at the end.  I wasn't sure if I'd make it that far though.

It wasn't hot, but I still decided to run shirtless.  The sun was starting to set.  There were no cars in the parking area.  I knew I'd be pretty much out alone, so I took my phone.

I began heading out the road.  It was incredibly boring and disappointing.  It was a wide gravel road with no elevation change.  It was basically like a rail trail.  I was hoping for at least a dirt road.

At one point, I thought I saw a different trail, but all the trees were marked red for some reason.  A little later on, I did find a grass trail.  I decided that I needed a change, so I headed there.  This was a wide grass section.  They did mow the grass every so often, so it wasn't too bad. 

I turned down another grass section.  Then after a short distance, I saw some tents set up with cars nearby.  I didn't want to bother them, so I headed back.  I then went another way on the grassy part.  Mile 1 was a 9:22.

This grass section came to some houses, so I turned back around and headed back to the gravel road.  Now, I was running on the boring section again.  There was a steep descend.  I decided at that point that if it dropped down any more, I'd turn around.

I noticed a pretty nice singletrack crossing the gravel road that I was on.  I stayed on the road a bit more, but then decided to go to the singletrack.  Mile 2 was an 8:49.

I headed back and went through the singletrack.  I thought it was odd to have such a wide and well worn singletrack in this area.  I figured that it must lead to somewhere.  I took it out quite a bit.  I was finally about ready to turn around.

I then noticed that it was getting quite rocky and it looked like I was near a ridge.  I followed the trail and came right out to the spectacular view.  By dumb luck, I found Buzzard's Point and exactly the place I was looking for.  Two young girls were there.  I took some photos from the view and then left.

Coming back was okay.  I wasn't looking forward to the gravel road.  I especially wasn't looking forward to the uphill part.  That wasn't much fun and I was breathing heavy.  I made it up though.  Mile 3 was a 10:05.

I thought all of the fun of the run was over.  I was nearly done and almost to mile 4.  Then, the highlight of the run happened.  I noticed something out of the corner of my eye.  A


black object ran away.  I realized it was a bear.  In fact, it was three bears (a mother and two cubs).  It was awesome to see them.  The mother ran up a tree and the cubs weren't far behind.  I had a very good view of them at the edge of the woods. 

That was so cool.  I only ever saw a bear one other time.  That was during a hike.  I never saw one during a run.  It was funny because I thought about seeing a bear earlier in the run.  I still didn't expect it to happen.

I sort of wanted to stop and take a picture, but I decided not to.  The bears weren't too far away and I didn't want to mess with the mother.  I didn't want to get her mad.  I kept running.  Stopping and walking might have been a better idea.  I actually saw a guy walking his dog right before I finished.  I told him about the bears.

I would've liked to have run a short out and back to even out the miles, but I wasn't about to head out in the direction of the bears.  I just ended my run.  It was a much better run than it initially looked.  I was glad I headed out there.

Tomorrow, I'm not sure what I'm going to do.  I'm hoping to get up and run with the BCR.  That doesn't always work though.  I'd love to do that and run on the track in the afternoon too.  The weather seems like it will be nice.

4.25 miles - 38:51 (9:09 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment