Friday, August 22, 2014

Much, Much Better Than Expected

I haven't been feeling all that strong this week.  The legs were beat at times and the humidity later in the week was killing me.  Wednesday and Thursday were especially terrible.  I was a little more hopeful for today.

I changed my mind though when I looked at the forecast.  Although the temperature was low, the humidity was over 80%.  That sounded awful, so I postponed the run until the evening, even though the forecast wouldn't change much.

I was unbelievably surprised when I got out there in the evening and started running.  Of course I was still soaked by the end and ran shirtless, but it was so much better than I expected.  I could deal with that type of weather for 10 miles any time.  The temperature was in the low 70s and it was cloudy, so I guess that made up for the humidity.

I headed to the Nor-Bath Trail for the run.  I thought about starting at the Bath end, but I wasn't sure that I really wanted to run the entire trail, especially when I thought the weather would be crappy.  I ended up on the Northampton end, because then at least I could run the D&L or around town if I wanted to split the run up.

I parked next to the Northampton girls' soccer field.  I made sure to park behind the fence, so that no balls hit my car.  I had a nice downhill start on sidewalks.  A guy commented that they had just fixed the curbs. 

I came across a party in a pavilion next to the high school.  It was going on when I came back too.  They looked bored.  About a mile into the run, I hit the Nor-Bath Trail.  Mile 1 was an 8:43.

The legs felt kind of crappy early on, but got far better.  One of the reasons I decided to run there was that I hoped the softness would help my legs.  Maybe it worked, but regardless of why, I felt good.

I had some uphill.  There were a few bikers and a bunch of walkers.  I don't think anyone else was running.  Mile 2 was an 8:17.

I wanted to get to at least Weaversville Road.  That would put me over 3 miles.  I got to that road and would've crossed it, but traffic was too heavy.  I turned around and headed back.  Mile 3 was a 7:50.

I decided that I would at the run through the park when I got a little farther.  I headed there and had to pass two women with a dog and baby.  There was another uphill, but at this easy effort, it was nothing. 

I usually turn around not far after the hill.  I wanted more mileage though, so I went as far as I could.  I even headed into the park and the parking lot there.  It looked like maybe there were some paved paths there, but they weren't far.  Mile 4 had been a 7:58 and mile 5 a 7:43.

I couldn't believe how great the legs felt as this point.  I was so happy.  I tried to tell myself to slow down, but I really was already running easy and feeling good.  I got back on to the Nor-Bath Trail and figured that I had about 2 miles yet to get back to my car.  That was around mile 6.  That mile was run at 8:10.

It was good to get over Savage Road and then have some downhill.  I coasted along.  Mile 7 was an 8:01.  I ran past the party and then soccer practice was nearly over.  It was starting to get dark as I got to mile 8.  That was a 7:56 mile.

I decided that for the final 2 miles, I'd run to the Northampton Canal Park and back.  I could've run on the D&L, but I didn't want to cross the road for such a short run.  I got to mile 9 and that was run at 8:04.

I was running easy now and pretty consistent.  I had cut through the backside of Northampton on the way out.  I headed back at 9.3 miles and this time took the long way down Main Street.  I finished up about 2 blocks before my car.  Mile 10 was an 8:05.

I love days like this where everything feels so great.  I wish I could bottle it up for a race.  Hopefully I'll at least feel fairly good for my long run tomorrow.  I'm planning on running 20-25 miles at Lackawanna State Park.  I ran there once before and really like it.  Maybe this time, I can run the entire loop around most of the perimeter of the park.  That would be nice.  I think that would make 7 mile segments.

10 miles - 1:20:44 (8:05 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment