Sunday, August 3, 2014

Post Fall Run

After my trail fall yesterday, I was very worried.  I was quite sore before bed.  I couldn't even walk down the steps correctly.  I was thinking that maybe I'd have to take a few days off.  I definitely wasn't going to run hard and long this morning.

I took a pain reliever before bed.  I felt much, much better this morning.  I decided that I would test things out.  If I felt good, I'd run 4 easy miles.  If not, I'd stop and take the day off.  I wanted to do something.

A few people ran today and said it was humid.  It was cloudy, so I thought it might be cool.  It was only in the 70s, but they were right it was humid.  I wore grey shorts because it would only be 4 miles.  However, the crotch area was soaked by the end and I looked stupid.

Driving in, there was a girl on her bike with her dad on the access road.  I felt bad because I got her dusty, even though I tried to drive slow.  It would be an out and back run to Riverview from the Boat Launch.

I started off feeling good.  It was nice and easy.  However, the pace was well over 9 minutes.  It didn't seem quite right, but maybe it was.  Maybe with my cut kneecap, I was being even more cautious.  Mile 1 was an 8:51.

At one point, someone on a bike was passing me.  They rang a bell.  When he passed, I saw that it was like a 10 year old kid.  That was cute.  Adults aren't always even that respectful.

I finished the 2nd mile just before Riverview Park.  With an 8:01, this was much faster than the first mile.  I was now warmed up.

I cruised on back now.  I was at 8:26 pace at the turnaround.  My goal at that point was just under 8:15.  Of course I could do it with pushing much harder, but I only wanted to speed up gradually. 

Mile 3 got the pace well under that goal.  It was an 8:09 at that point.  That mile was run at 7:35.  I continued to cruise along.

I picked it up slightly now.  I wanted to see if I could get under an 8 minute pace.  I was feeling good and forgot about my kneecap.  I cruised on in with a final mile of 7:13.  The pace was 7:55.

It was a solid run and good to know that the fall isn't a big deal.  I won't miss any time.  I'll have to figure out whether I want to run tomorrow or take off.  Since I took Friday off, I could certainly run.

4 miles - 31:39 (7:55 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment