Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Point Mountain Reservation

Today was another day of exploring new trails.  However, it was also a reminder that summer isn't over.  I ended up beat by the end of it and I ran again in the evening.

I didn't want to go too far, but last week I found a place about 40 minutes away in New Jersey.  It's called Point Mountain Reservation.  It is broken up into 3 sections, the North, Central and South.  It appeared that you could run the perimeter and get over 11 miles of running.  That sounded good to me.

It was super hot and humid.  I was shirtless and drenched anyway by the end.  Even my legs looked like I had just stepped out of a pool.  It was gross and I can't wait for summer to end.

I wanted to start on the South Section.  That part begins in an open field and is near the top of the mountain.  That would've been good for the beginning of the run.  However, the trail was just too overgrown and I was worried that there might be ticks there.  Maybe in the fall, winter or spring, it will be a better place to start.

I headed partway down the mountain and found the other parking area.  I was now going to run the Blue Trail.  It's a very short climb out of the parking area, but then the Blue Trail begins and the Orange Trail goes to the top.  I didn't want to climb yet, so I took the Blue Trail.

It was flat in the beginning and a wide singletrack.  It was a little rocky, but not too bad.  It went past a really cool, huge boulder.  Then, it gradually went downhill.

A lot of the Blue Trail runs along the creek.  That was very nice and pretty.  Before long, I met up with the other end of the Orange Trail.  This goes out into open fields.  I sure wasn't prepared for this.  The sun was beating on me and eating me up.  It was bad because there was a lot of ascending too.

I was trying to go slow, but was already getting exhausted and soaked.  The Orange Trail has all these little spurs to it.  It is kind of confusing.  Eventually, I came out to a parking area and I knew the North Section was across the road.

I went looking for it by running down the road.  I crossed over the creek and found a trail next to a swimming area.  A bunch of teens were swimming there.  The trail went uphill and then ended at Route 57, so I headed back.

Earlier, I knew that part of the Orange Trail went into the woods.  I followed that.  At first, it went through another field, with another short climb.  That was exhausting.

Then, I was into the woods and it was an uphill climb.  I took it slow, but it was a struggle with the humidity.  Eventually, I ran out of the Orange Trail and continued climbing on the Red Trail.

I didn't mind climbing, because I knew there was a view somewhere at the top.  I wasn't sure what the Red Trail was and I still don't as it isn't on my map.  It seemed to be everywhere though.  At times, it was a nice singletrack.  Other times, it was overgrown.  I saw some deer and wasn't crazy about running the overgrown parts.

At one point, I found a road and some houses.  When I realized I wasn't going to find the view, I decided to head back the way I came.  I must've been circling around the same places on the Red Trail for around half an hour.

I couldn't even find my way out.  The problem was that the section that I came up on was overgrown.  Finally, I made it down.  I still could never find the remainder of the Orange Trail loop.  Maybe it does go through there.

I went downhill exhausted.  I was glad to make it through miles 5 and 6.  I eventually linked back up with the Blue Trail.  There was a gradual climb back to my car, so it wasn't too bad.  I passed some women that were walking dogs.

I was dead tired as I hit mile 7.  I tried to climb up the Orange Trail near my car, to get to the view.  I didn't have the energy though and I headed back down.  I'll have to try it again another time.

This was a fun run and I'll have to explore it even more next time.  It's very runnable, but also has some quality climbing.  Add on to that that it is fairly close by and I'll be there often I'm sure.

Since I didn't run quite as far as I wanted, I decided to head out for a night run.  Originally, I was planning 5 miles.  Then I changed it to 3 miles and eventually ended up doing 4 miles.

I was going to run 3 loops around my neighborhood, but that got boring after one loop.  I headed across the highway and ran the short loop that I often do.  I ran it in reverse direction this time though.

It was good to get to mile 2 and beyond.  I didn't feel that great.  I wasn't rested and I think my shoes are dead.  The legs were quite sore.  My left hip almost felt like it wanted to collapse and didn't want to move.

It was also humid, but I do enjoy night running.  I find it very calming.  It made the weather more bearable.  This was a slow run, as it was mostly over 8 minute pace.

When I got to my neighborhood, I did one of the shorter loops.  I finished up just past my house at 4 miles.  It was good to be done and now I need rest.

Tomorrow, I'm going to the Eagles preseason game.  I need to find time to run.  If I don't work, it will happen in the morning.  If I do work, it will be in the early afternoon, before I head out.

7.42 miles - 1:16:45 (10:21 pace)
4 miles - 33:47 (8:27 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment