Monday, March 7, 2016

One Trail, One Road

I decided to skip running yesterday.  It was a little chilly and the rest of this week is supposed to be amazingly warm.  I wanted to get out on the trails today, rather than run long.  I asked Angie to join me.  We were going to go to the AT at Route 191, but we would've been cutting it too close time wise.  We met at Jacobsburg instead for an 8 mile run.

It was warm of course.  I ran with shorts and a short sleeve shirt.  Even with my Buff on, I was sweating a lot.  Angie even noticed that.  It's why I hate summer running.  She had on a long sleeve shirt, which I thought was kind of crazy.

We started out on the main loop.  There were lots of dog walkers today, especially young women.  As I was changing I saw two cute ones going out.  They were coming back when we started.  We cruised along nice and easy.  It was her easy day and I always run easy, so it was great.

The easy pace made this much more relaxing for me than the run with Kristin the other day.  I wasn't huffing and puffing, as much.  The warmer air did hurt my breathing a little early on.  The legs were quite fresh.  The conversation made things fly by.

I suggested some trail shoes for Angie.  This was her first time testing them out and she seemed to like them.  I hope they work out for her.  Before I knew it, we were on the 3 road crossings and heading to the Sober's Run loop.

I didn't want to go up the powerline, so we decided to run on the Bushkill Trail for a bit.  That was boring though, so we turned around at mile 4.  I saw my dad's vehicle in the small lot, but we never did see him.

We ran on back.  First, I wanted to take her on the fun ridge section.  She's run all over Jacobsburg quite a few times, but never knows where she's actually going.  Maybe next time I'll just let her lead.

After the ridge, we came out near the creek.  Since we still needed mileage, I decided to take us to the fun singletrack along the creek.  My watch had somehow lost signal twice today.  I've never lost signal there, only in remote places.

We turned and headed back before going too far.  I wanted to get her on the high ridge.  I wasn't sure if she'd been there.  We headed back toward the parking lot.  There were some school buses on the road. 

We came back near the lot and went up the hill behind the new building.  She didn't want to do any more hills, after a big weekend of hills.  I tried to convince her to run this only one, but she wouldn't.  I ran ahead and did a short up and down. 

When I came back, she was there.  We ran out and along the ridge.  It was super muddy again.  She didn't want to run in the mud.  Since it would be muddy for some time, I told her let's just turn around.  She was on this section last week anyway.

We went back down to the main loop.  We went out about a quarter of a mile.  We then finished with 8 miles and walked back.  I told her about an old car in the woods, but we couldn't find it.

This run was great.  The conversation made it fly by.  I wasn't sore or tired at all.  It was almost like I didn't even run.  Because of that, I decided on a shorter night time run too.

A bit after 7 at night, I headed out.  The plan was 5 easy miles.  That would give me a solid 13 miles for the day.  I started with a partial loop around my neighborhood.  My pace was slow, but I wasn't too sore.

The temperature was really perfect at night.  It was still warm, but slightly cooler than during the day.  I enjoyed that part.  I had on my shorts and short sleeve shirt.

I went over to the other neighborhood.  The problem was I had some chafing going on.  I eventually adjusted things and felt a little better.  However, it bothered me all throughout the run.

I decided to do the regular loop.  This time, I switched it up though.  I ran it the opposite way of normal.  With the chafing issues, my pace was slower and it sure felt slower too.

I was happy to get to 2.5 miles.  Still, it seemed like a long time.  When I got to the typical 2 miles to go point, I was happy.  I knew I'd get back to the school a little under 5 miles.

I cruised along.  There were a few cars out there.  Eventually, I got to mile 4.  I sputtered on in to the school.  I ran the first loop around my neighborhood.  That got me a bit over 5 miles when I finished.

I was happy to put in a nice double session day.  I don't feel too bad either.  The company sure helped with the first run.  I really wish I had a regular running partner.

Tomorrow, I'm heading down to a basketball game.  It is near Green Lane.  I'm hoping to run the loop around there.  That could be fun.  It is about 12 miles.  The temperatures will be warm again too.

Trail Run 8 miles - 1:24:20 (10:32 pace) 486 feet of elevation gain
Road Run 5.11 miles - 51:56 (10:10 pace) 113 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment