Saturday, March 12, 2016

Battle to End the Week

I was determined to get to 60 miles for the week.  That meant a tough 13 miles today.  I love the mental games I play.  I didn't feel that up for running, so I was trying to find the best place to run.  I thought about loops and even multiple out and backs.  Pavement vs. stone was another issue.  In the end, I decided on the D&L from Cove Road.  I love that section.

It was kind of perfect running weather.  It was a little under 60 degrees and a little cloudy.  I went with shorts and a short sleeve shirt.  I didn't like my shorts much and ended up chafing.

I started off heading north.  I thought I was in big trouble.  My right quad was sore and I began by limp running.  I clearly had not recovered from last night's run.  I decided to just go at it though.

The trail was busy today.  Mostly, it was people on bikes.  There were a few dog walkers though.  The start is tough because it goes uphill slightly. 

Normally, I like this route, but it was tough today.  The scenery is great, but it was hard to focus on that.  My soreness was so uncomfortable.  Getting to mile 2 even seemed like forever.  I did look at some of the rocky cliffs. 

I ran past where the horses go.  That was around mile 3.  I thought about turning there.  I figured with my soreness, I might need to break the run into shorter segments.  I talked myself into at least another half mile.

I continued on.  It was sure a battle.  I continued to force myself to keep running each upcoming half mile.  I really wanted to get to mile 4.  That would get me back at mile 8.  I might've done a 5 mile run later in the day if needed.

I got to mile 4 and I don't know if the terrain changed or not.  However, I suddenly felt pretty good.  I wasn't as sore, I was only chafing.  I stopped fixing my pants and that helped me to not have as much rubbing.

Finally, I turned around not far from Slatington.  I was at 4.75 miles then.  I'd get back at 9.5 miles.  Turning around was great, but it was a slow go.

I just had to keep moving.  Even getting to mile 6 seemed to take forever.  I saw a lot of people from earlier, as we were each heading the other way.

I was happy to get past the horse section.  This part seems to be rough on my legs sometimes.  Today, it actually wasn't bad.  I felt kind of okay now.  Getting to mile 8 was important.

I continued to move forward.  I was feeling it a bit now though.  I started to think I'd only be going 10 miles.  This section often beats me up at 10 miles.  Sure enough, I felt like I was falling off at mile 9.

I ran back to the car and went on the road a bit.  I thought maybe that would help my legs.  It wasn't much better.  I simply headed out the other way to complete my last half mile.

Then, I got to mile 10.  I said to myself just keep going.  I didn't want to run later.  I ran past the barking dog house.  It barked, but wasn't nearby.  I was really moving slowly now and struggling.

I continued on.  If I could get out 1.75 miles, I'd arrive back at 13 miles.  I eventually got to the next trailhead and ran down the road a bit.  I turned to head back.

It was very slow coming back.  Mile 12 did come though.  I looked at the watch over and over and over again.  I was hurting and slow for sure.  I had to move forward.  Finally, I finished up just before the car. 

It was a real battle to get through this run.  That was especially the case in the last 3 miles.  It was good mental training.  I was glad to get it done and get to 60 miles for the week.

Although I'm coming off a tough week, I want to keep it going.  I might have to work tomorrow, so that could be tricky.  I hope I can run 12-16 miles somewhere.  It might have to be at night.  I also hope I'm recovered by then.

12.99 miles - 1:56:25 (8:58 pace) 270 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment