Friday, March 4, 2016

Dixon R. Miller Recreation Area

Some time ago, I wondered if there were any trails near Pocono Raceway, since there are a lot of woods.  While sitting in traffic before or after a race, I saw a sign for the Dixon R. Miller Recreation Area.  Since I wasn't too far away, I decided to head up there for the run.  It is mainly ATV trails, with some hiking trails too.

The weather wasn't great here and was even worse up there.  It was in the 20s, cloudy and a biting wind.  I went with tights, my shell and a long sleeve shirt.  I had the gloves and headband.  The headband went off and on.

I was hoping that I wouldn't see any ATVs.  I didn't want to be in their way or have them flying everywhere really fast.  At least I was wearing yellow.  I was disappointed to see 3 vehicles in the lot.  A short time later, 4 ATVs came out.  Two left and two went back out.  I was trying to change into running clothes while they were around.  That was kind of annoying.

I had planned on going through the hiking trails the other direction from them.  This just confirmed that.  I followed what I thought was the trail.  I came out to a house.  I turned and headed back.  I realized that I missed a turn.  This was mostly grassy with some branches.  It wasn't fun.

I went uphill through a section that must've seen a lot of rain.  Then, I came to the ATV trail.  A short time later, I found the hiking trail.  I followed it.  It wasn't bad, except for low branches.  After some time I came to a few signs.  I went to these boulders.  That trail was a little overgrown.  So was the trail to the view.  Clearly these trails aren't hiked much.

I wasted a lot of time in this area and wasn't even at mile 2 yet.  I decided to go on the ATV trails and be careful.  There was some interesting dirt and rocky downhill.  I was thinking ATVs could not go very fast in this part.  It was a little muddy, but not too bad.

I wanted to follow the creek hiking trail, but like all the other hiking trails, it was a little overgrown.  I stuck to the ATV trails.  There were so many intersections.  It was very confusing.  I had a map and spent a lot of time figuring out where I was.  Finally, I did get my bearings.

I saw the Old Farm Road Trail cut through a lot of the property.  I decided to follow that.  After having come out of some cool green sections, I was back to everything being dead.  This trail was like a wide woods road.  Stone was put down everywhere.  While that wasn't fun, it was runnable.  I ran along.  I was happy to finally make it to mile 3 and then 3.5.

I knew I needed to add some distance yet.  I saw the trail above me had some views.  I ran to that trail.  It turns out it either had no views or weak views.  It was kind of a cool rolling section though.  I didn't go out too far.

I turned and headed back.  I was mostly going downhill now.  I passed mile 5.  I kept checking my map at intersections.  I finally found the Slutter Trail.  This was the one the ATVs were on at the start.

This trail was much better than I expected.  It had a few curved hills.  It was really pretty.  Most importantly, I didn't see any ATVs.

There was a nearby firetower that I had to check out.  That meant a short hiking trail.  It was near where I was, so I followed it up.  I was running most of the time today, but I hiked a little here.

I got to the firetower and there was a cool view from there.  I could see mountains off in the distance.  I couldn't see the racetrack though.  It was off to the side.

I decided to run down the firetower road.  I was over 6 miles now, as I cruised down it.  That was kind of fun, although it was stone.  I was back to my car with about half a mile to go.  I ran a bunch near my car and the parking area to finish up.

This was a much better run than I expected.  I thought it would be flat and boring.  For ATV trails, it was pretty cool.  I stayed away from the riders, so I was happy about that too.  I wouldn't go here specifically to run, but I would come back if I was at the track or in the area.

Kristin and I are planning to run on the D&L tomorrow.  We'll go to the Farmersville Trailhead early in the morning.  I need 5 miles and I have to get it done before wrestling starts.  It will be tough getting up early, but nice to have company for once.  I hope it isn't too cold, as I only have clean shorts right now.

7.17 miles - 1:40:02 (13:58 pace) 504 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment