Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Cutting It Short

It was so tough to get out the door this morning.  While the temperatures were around 40, the wind was fierce.  The plan was 10 miles at Riverview.  I figured that I might as well run on my favorite paved path.

Dressing was very frustrated.  With the wind, I wore tights on the bottom.  I had on a long sleeve shirt under my shell.  I wasn't actually as overdressed as I expected to be, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  My gloves and headband went on and off.

I started off heading toward the Boat Launch.  Since it was chilly out, there weren't many people.  Only a few walkers and one guy on a bike.  I felt pretty crappy early on.  I sure wasn't recovered from yesterday.  I merely sputtered along.

I was happy to make it to mile 1 and 1.5.  At that point, I knew I'd at least be going to the Boat Launch.  Then, I'd be able to go out the other way to Easton, to get 10 miles in.  I was running into a headwind, but it wasn't as bad as I expected.

I was a little warm and chafing some.  I decided to head uphill away from the Boat Launch.  That was short though, as it was only .2 miles up.  I was at mile 2 when I turned to head back.

I changed my mind and decided to go out half a mile through the Boat Launch parking lot.  There were no cars there at all.  I ran on the pavement.  After half a mile, I decided to keep going.  The more I could do now, the better.

I finally turned around a little past the Route 33 Bridge.  I had gone out a mile in this direction.  Now, I'd be at mile 6 when I arrived back.  I changed my mind again.  I went back up the hill again.  I was forcing myself to go out another half mile.

These short out and backs were adding miles.  They were also wearing me down.  When I got back to the split, I was now over 5 miles.  I couldn't believe I was only halfway done.

Going back was very slow.  My pace felt like it dropped like crazy.  My stride was short to keep from chafing.  The lower legs were getting very sore.  I knew I could go beyond, but I decided I would be cutting the run short.

I was going so slow that I felt I wasn't accomplishing anything.  I'd just finish up where I started.  It was a little more crowded as I got back to Riverview.  I was a bit frustrated, but I finished up there at mile 7.  No need to force more.

This weather made it a tough run to start.  My sore legs make it even worse throughout.  Some days, you just have to listen to your body and do less than was planned.

Tomorrow, I'd love to get back to 10 miles.  Maybe I can get on some trail.  That could help my lower legs.  I think I'll shoot for 50 miles this week.  I currently have 28 miles in the books.

7 miles - 1:05:32 (9:22 pace) 113 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment