Monday, March 21, 2016

New Route at South Mountain

Yesterday had crappy weather.  I used it as my off day.  Today wasn't much of an improvement, but I needed to get out there.  I thought about trying a new AT section, but couldn't find anything without a billion rocks.  I wanted to get on trails, so I headed over to South Mountain (Lehigh) in the late afternoon.  I haven't run over there in some time.  The plan was for 10 miles.

As I said, the weather was a mess.  It was a mix of sun and clouds.  The temperatures were in the upper 40s.  However, the wind was just brutal.  It made it feel below freezing at times.  I went with shorts and that was okay.  I had my shell on top.  That helped battle the wind.  Some times, I was hot, others I was comfortable.  My headband and gloves came off very early.

I figured I'd probably do two loops, although I wasn't excited about that.  I cruised on down the early hills and over the rocks.  At one turn, 6 deer ran away.  I don't think I've ever seen that many at once.  One of them looked kind of sickly. 

I ran along and crossed the road.  I wouldn't say I felt great or terrible at this point.  Then, the first hill came.  I used to be able to run up this, but I didn't want to risk it today.  I haven't been doing much elevation.  Short climbs even get my breathing labored now.  That's the case with the cold air like today as well.

At the top, I headed into the woods.  Again, there was another uphill.  I hiked most of the way up this.  It would be a slow pace and a long day for sure.  I was kind of enjoying myself.  Slightly better weather would've been nice.  I also can't wait for the trees to bloom.  That will be pretty.

After the hill, I saw a turn off to the left.  I think we ran this part in the Runner's World Trail race.  I don't normally take it, but I thought I'd give it a try.  It could at mileage hopefully and give me some new adventure.  It would also eliminate the need for a second loop, if I did enough distance.

It came out at the disc golf course.  I saw two guys playing.  This was the only time I saw any people, other than in cars.  There was another option to turn left.  I took it.

I wanted to wrap around the mountain.  I was successful doing that.  However, I didn't really want to go downhill.  There was quite a bit of downhill.  I knew I'd have to come back up.  At least my pace was getting faster.

Some parts here were a little tricky to follow.  There were a lot of leaves.  I guess I wasn't on the main trail.  Then, I came to a clearer path.  Eventually, I started to see some houses.  I knew the end of the mountain was near.

That meant climbing up and up.  I was already exhausted, so I didn't even try to run.  This was a smooth switchback and likely a lot of fun on a mountain bike.  One thing I don't like with mountain bike trails is they curve all ways and go up and down (for fun I guess).  Hiking trails typically take a more direct path.

There were some tree stands in this area.  I don't know if they were for hunting or what.  It was weird.  I came to the end of the trail and to some houses.  Before them, I turned to the disc golf area and the pavilion.  I think I was around 3 to 3.5 miles now.

I followed the pavement out to the road and then turned on the old pavement.  I connected back up with my normal route shortly after that.  I then crossed the road and headed to the technical part.

This was kind of a fun downhill.  However, I sure was beat.  I cruised through it and then out over the old bridge.  I decided to turn and go through the art garden.  This has some weird art pieces in the woods.

When I did a group run years ago, we went through this part.  However, I wandered around a bit and found no way out.  That was too bad, as I was hoping for a loop.  Instead, I turned back around.  At least I had some extra distance.

I decided to run the other part of what would've been a loop.  This has some climbing and goes in and out.  It is kind of fun and kind of annoying.  After snaking everywhere, I came out behind the old TV building.  One day, I'm going to run to the star.  I don't know if you can do that directly.  I must've been very close to it when the trail ended.

I headed back.  At least I could run downhill now.  I came out the road and headed to the overlook.  I crossed the road and was back on my normal route.

I cruised along the runnable stuff.  However, as I was well over mile 6, I was quite beat.  I hiked some of the uphill and ran other parts.  I'd have a decision to make at the fork at the top of the hill.

Finally, I got there around 7.5 miles.  I took a right and the short way back.  This run was going slower than I anticipated and I felt like crap.  Sure, I could've pushed through two more miles, but that was kind of pointless.

I got to the pavement.  I ran very slowly on up the hill.  I got back to my car almost right at 8 miles.  I may have got to 10 miles if I went the other way, but this was good enough for now.

It sure was a chilly day and my body felt like real crap.  I don't know if it was the elevation, the windy weather, the cough medicine I took last night or something else.  Whatever the case, I was very off today.  At least I put in some mileage.

Tomorrow, I need to run again.  Going 12 miles would sure be nice.  I'm not sure where at though.  Hopefully more trails, as my legs are still a problem.  I really, really need to work on their recovery.

8 miles - 1:45:42 (13:13 pace) 1,076 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment