Thursday, March 17, 2016

Calorie Burner

I went back and forth on whether or not to run today.  It was chilly and cloudy at times.  It switched between that and sunny.  Combined with NCAA basketball on TV, it was tough to get outside.  Since the sun was shining after supper, I quickly headed out the door.

It was still a little chilly.  However, shorts and short sleeves were good enough.  I had a visor on too and that was soaked by the end.

I had to leave right after eating, so I knew it wouldn't be a fast run.  Basically, I just wanted to get out there and burn calories.  I only had about an hour and a half of daylight left.  I planned to run the main loop around Jacobsburg.

I didn't start at the main lot.  Instead, I began at the far away lot.  That would mean I'd hit the powerline very early.  I went up that nice and slow.  Even with that, my breathing was still labored.  It was nice to be done with the toughest climb early.

I cruised on the downhill.  I was still moving slow though.  The pad in my shoe bothered me, so I stopped briefly to take it out.  This section of trail is still washed out from the storm a few weeks ago.

My legs weren't as bad as yesterday, but not great either.  The left shin was bothering me throughout.  The terrain of the trail was helping with it some though.  It was good to hit mile 2.

I headed toward the road on the flat part.  I saw a family walking the other way.  The older kid had on a Blair Wrestling shirt.  I made it out to the road and headed toward the main lot.

I just kept taking it easy and cruised along.  I didn't look at my watch too much.  It was good to get to the main lot and then on the Henrys Woods path.  A few walkers were out.  The trails weren't too crowded this evening though.

I ran along still not feeling great or terrible.  The uphills were a little bit of a battle.  I had one after leaving the main path.  I kept going.  After the road crossing, I hit the halfway point at mile 3.

I ran some more slight uphill.  I don't know how, but I couldn't remember the order of the different parts of these sections.  It was weird because I've run here so much.

It was nice to cruise downhill.  I then hit mile 4.  These last 2 miles would have a lot more singletrack.  That was great because the dirt was softer.  It did help my shins.

I had some fun going over the rocks and the three road crossings.  I was confused at their order too.  I didn't care much for the small hills, but I got over them.  I had to stop earlier at a road crossing, but I didn't have to stop at either of these. 

It was good to be over all the roads and good to be in the final mile.  I cruised along.  Most of the rest of the route was easy.  I wasn't running hard at all, but was fairly happy with the pace I was laying down.  I just wanted to be done with the run in under an hour.

I came to the finish a little quicker than I thought I would.  I crossed the bridge and finished up.  The loop was just over 6 miles.

It wasn't a fast or long run.  It was good to get myself out there to run.  It was also good to burn some calories.  I probably burned off my dinner.

This week will probably continue to be light.  I hope to run again tomorrow.  There is more basketball to watch.  I also need to have my legs recover some more.  Maybe I can hit more trails to do that.

6.08 miles - 59:13 (9:45 pace) 378 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment