Friday, June 26, 2015

Wind Gap Evening AT Run

I didn't have time to run yesterday.  I had to get out there today.  I planned to run in the evening.  The plan was just a short run of about an hour.

I headed up to Wind Gap to run on the AT.  After going there last weekend for the run with Scott Jurek, I realized I need to get there more often.  It has some decent elevation and also some good technical running.  I don't go there enough.

It was a nice evening.  However, I still ran without a shirt.  I was sweating a bit by the end too.  I'd take this weather all summer for sure though.

I began by heading southbound.  My watch didn't find a signal initially, but then I got one.  I wanted to go this direction because it has switchbacks.  I ran them over the few hundred foot climb in the snow of the winter.  I hoped I could run up it today, but I wasn't sure.

At first, it didn't look like I'd be able to climb without resting.  I was going easy, but my breathing was very labored.  However, as I got used to it, the climb was better.  I was able to slowly pick my way up.

I ran the entire way up.  This is a great place for me to do hill repeats and I need to get here more often.  I might try to start coming every week.

I had to hike the super rocky section on the ridge, when I got to the top.  I saw a hiker above there and another one earlier.  He was glad to know he was nearly to Wind Gap.  This isn't a fun section when you are thru hiking.

I had some trouble with the rocks when I got back to running.  The issue was that they suck and the setting sun made it hard to see them too.  I ran when I could.  I stumbled a few times though.

I had planned to go out 1.5 miles.  However, I was enjoying the ridge running.  I kept going until things got rocky.  That was around 1.8 miles.  It was good to be heading back.

One other thing I didn't like is that parts of the trail had some slight overgrowth.  I was worried about rubbing up against them and possibly getting ticks.  However, I didn't find any.

It was fun to get to the switchbacks and cruise downhill.  I enjoyed that and was back to my car fairly quickly.  Since the run was slow, I knew I'd only get about 4 miles.

I was slightly under than, so I headed northbound.  That would give me some slight climbing.  I didn't make it all the way to top, before turning around.  I finished up the quality short run over 4 miles.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to run.  However, I don't know what it will bring.  There is going to be a lot of rain.  I might have to take a zero day or maybe just do a short, easy run.

4.09 miles - 1:03:29 (15:32 pace) 716 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment