Friday, June 12, 2015

Muggy Lehigh Gap Run

I didn't do anything yesterday, so I had to run today.  I just wasn't sure where.  I'm going to Tammany tomorrow, so that was out of the question.  Then, I realized that I have not been to Lehigh Gap since the winter.  Last time I was there, there was snow on the ground.

It was probably the worst day of summer yet.  If it didn't hit 90, it was near 90.  It was incredibly muggy too.  I started around 2 PM and of course went without a shirt.  The plan was for a short 5 miler.  With some mountain climbing, it wouldn't exactly be easy though.

I'm clearly never going to be good in the heat.  Maybe I can get better though.  I made sure to drink a lot before the run.  I also blasted my car AC, to the point where I was actually a little chilly.  I think basically headed right out to run.

The beginning is easy trail, but it is exposed for a bit.  I ran, but went super slow, so I wouldn't wear myself out.  I had a handheld, but that was it.

It wasn't long and I was back into the woods and on the Woodpecker Trail.  This is semi technical and I was worried about hidden rattlesnakes around the rocks.  I never saw any.  I was surprised that I basically ran all of this.  When it was snow covered, it was too difficult.  Now, it wasn't too steep.

The same thing happened when I got on to the AT.  Again, it was rocky and steep.  However, it wasn't as steep as I remembered it and I was able to run on it a bit.  I didn't think I'd be able to run on it at all.  I cool whether, I may even be able to run most of it.

I picked my way up the AT and began to eventually hike to the AT shelter.  I was definitely hot and sweating a lot, but not as much as I expected.  I was surviving and wondering if the pre cooling was helping.  It may have and I might have to try more techniques again.

The trail flattens out by the shelter, so I used that to run.  Some hikers were at the shelter already and I think surprised that I was running.  However, they obviously didn't know I was hiking a lot too.

I had to hike more after the shelter.  Not long after that though, the AT starts rolling.  It was much more runnable, although still a lot of uphill.  I ran and hiked.

At one point, I noticed some scat on the trail.  It looks like bear scat, so I was very bear aware after that.  I didn't see one though.  I continued on.

I had hoped to actually get out to 2 or 2.5 miles.  For some reason, the trees had not sprouted yet very much on this side of the mountain.  That made it much hotter for me.  I had to hike some and take cover in shade at times.

While I was hot, I was cautious and not overdoing it.  I pushed myself on to 1.75 miles and that was enough for now.  I headed back downhill.  I proceeded slowly and felt much better with a breeze and easy running now.

I got to the intersection of the blue blazed North Trail.  This is much steeper than the AT, so I saved it until now, when I was recovered after the downhill.  I had to hike most of the way up this.  I got over 1200 feet of gain by doing so.

I then turned and ran down.  The descent was a little hot, but fun.  It is rocky, but not too bad.  I'm so used to technical terrain now.  I feel as though I'm getting much better on it.

Instead of going back on the Woodpecker Trail, I stayed on the AT.  That would add about a mile, as I'd run briefly on some road.  The AT is eventually exposed and very hot.  The scenery was great though.

I ran along the road and then turned and ran the road into the Lehigh Gap Nature Center.  I looped around the building and finished up.  I was over 4.5 miles and satisfied with my workout.  The heat certainly impacted my run, but it wasn't as bad as I was expecting.  I did make sure to get in the shade and drink a lot of water afterward.  Cranking the AC in the car helped too.

It was a productive day.  Tomorrow is a big day.  Ryan and Kobey are meeting me at Mt. Tammany.  I'm going to plan for 4 loops.  Ryan is trying to push me to do 5 loops.  I just want to be careful and not overheat.  I'll rest between loops and cool myself off a lot.  Going in the morning might help too.  I hope it is a fun day and not a disaster.  Some Trail WhippAss people will be there too.

4.65 miles - 1:06:12 (14:14 pace) 1224 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment