Sunday, June 28, 2015

Finally A Quality Run

Summertime for me means do whatever I can.  My body can't handle much, so I don't run long or fast.  It seemed like ages since I could last run for awhile on a challenging course.  The summer weather just destroys me.

After the rain yesterday, we had a cloudy and cool day.  I was beyond thrilled with that.  I wore a singlet and of course that and my shorts were still soaked by the end of the run, but I can deal with this weather.  I think it was probably in the low 70s when I started in the evening.

I hate running Trexler when the sun is beating down, because it is so open.  The cloud cover and setting sun was perfect.  The only problem was that I forgot my trail shoes at home and had to turn around on the highway.  I already knew doing one long loop there was pushing the limits of daylight.  I didn't want to wear a headlamp either.  I figured I'd just trek through the dark at the end if needed.  I've run there enough and it isn't too technical, so I could manage.

My goal for this run was to run slowly and run as much of the hills as I could.  I was able to do a great job with this goal.  I started off slow from the Environmental Center and picked my way up the new section.  I ran that and then by the bison (none were out).

I felt good.  I knew the legs were strong and have been for months.  They almost never even get a workout any more.  Instead, I can't breathe and my body just overheats and falls apart.  My legs are so far ahead of everything else.  All the elevation I've been doing for months has strengthened them like never before.

I went easy up the long gradual climb.  Going into the open field section without any sun was glorious.  Near the great view, rays of the sun were coming through the clouds though.  It was a beautiful sight.

The next section, as I headed toward the big hill, frustrated me.  With all the rain, things are getting very overgrown.  I had to duck numerous branches.  Worse that than, I ran into a bunch of spiderwebs.  I had to put my hand in front of me to try to block them out.  I looked like I was doing the Tomahawk Chop.

I was still running this entire time.  I ran over the two false hills, as I headed toward the grandaddy of them all.  I knew running this would likely be tough.  I ran the bottom 2/3rds, but I didn't want to risk pushing too much.  My breathing was labored and the legs were burning.  It was too early to go hard.

The short hike was a good workout too.  I got back to running and ran slowly up that next hill.  These two back to back are usually killer.  Today, they didn't get to me at this steady effort.  I was taking short strides up the steep hills.

I then turned off to the next section.  I haven't run this since there was snow on the ground.  It was tough to run uphill then.  Today, I was able to do it with my slow pace.  My breathing was slightly labored, but it never got too bad.  I was surprised that I could run this section.  It like a lot of the trail had high grass that concerned me (potential ticks).

A part I ran in the winter is now overgrown.  I took a different way.  I then had the option to take the white trail downhill.  This is a steep descent.  People rave about the Broken Arrow Trail, so I decided to try to find that instead.

The Broken Arrow Trail is a switchback down the side.  It is made by the mountain bikers and looks like a lot of fun for them.  I did enjoy it.  However, it seemed like it added nearly another mile to the already long run.  I didn't really have time for that.

At the bottom, I crossed over and got to the Elk Trail.  This one is very steep, long and challenging.  When it is even cooler, I wonder if I can run it all.  I didn't try hard enough today.  When it got tough (early on), I just hiked, rather than push through.  That took awhile.

Although I was feeling good, my biggest concern for not being too aggressive was food and water.  I had no nutrition with me and only my handheld water bottle.  In warm conditions, the water is only good for about 4 miles.  Today, it was cooler, but I was still stretching it.  I knew there was a good chance I would bonk.

I coasted down the Elk Trail after the climb.  I was happy to be doing this descent in daylight.  It has some interesting rocks and roots that would've been an issue without a headlamp.  I got to the bottom and crossed over the creek on the bridge.

I noticed that due to the high water, the Ford was closed to cars.  I ran along the gravel for a short bit.  Then, it was on to the next climb.  I was struggling a little now, but I pushed on up anyway.

A shortcut that I normally take is now overgrown.  I had to keep going up and that broke me near the top.  I didn't have much longer, so I guess I should've kept going.  Instead, I hiked the last bit.

Now, it was some easy running.  That was a nice break.  I was happy at how light out it still was.  I wanted to run as much as I could while I still had the light.

I crossed the road and did the next gradual climb.  In the heat, I have to hike this.  Being steady today, it wasn't an issue.  I made it to the top and kept going.  I ran along for awhile and then crossed the bridge over the creek.

Next, it was the last long climb.  I can run this sometimes, so today I was unsure.  I made it most of the way and just decided hiking was a better option near the top.  It does flatten out a little, but still goes up.

I ran the jeep road along KidsPeace.  One of their vehicles drove by.  I knew I was close to an 11 minute pace, so I pushed a little here.  Still, I just wanted to remain consistent.

I ran all of the rolling hills, as the sun was setting.  It was now clear that I had enough daylight to finish.  The last rolling hill wasn't easy, but I managed.  Three separate deer jumped across the trail within less than a mile in this stretch.

I cruised on down to the final road crossing.  I kept pushing after the road, although it was uphill and really tiring me out now.  I was surprised that I had not crashed yet.  What a difference some cooler weather makes for me.

I passed some young hikers going downhill near the finish.  They were the only hikers I saw all day.  I was coming up and it was a chore to keep running.  If it weren't for the fact that this was the last climb, I would've hiked.

I ran all the way in to the parking lot.  I finished up at my car, just before sunset.  I was so thrilled with the workout.  Although my legs were nowhere near their limit, I was finally able to push them some and run most of the uphills.  I've run faster times here, both when I was faster and it was cooler, but I'm happy with this one.  This is the first time I've taken the route like this, so it is a PR.

It is supposed to be cool again tomorrow, so I might have to take advantage.  I'd love to run 10 miles or more somewhere again.  Maybe I'll go to Mt. Tammany and try three loops.  It is clear that all those loops have been paying off when strengthening my legs, even if it is mostly hiking.  If only my breathing could get in the ballpark of my leg strength.

10.89 miles - 1:59:16 (10:57 pace) 1696 feet of elevation gain 

No comments:

Post a Comment