Monday, June 8, 2015

Humid Double Tammany Loop

I had a busy weekend, with the Ten Hours of Trexler on Saturday and working on some stuff for it on Sunday.  I had to get out and run today.  The plan was several loops at Mt. Tammany.  I arrived there around 2 PM and the lot was already packed.  Quite impressive for a Monday afternoon.

It was around 80 when I started, but it was also humid.  I debated going shirtless, but in the end, the new Trail WhippAss singlet won out.  It only last one loop in this weather though.  The next loop was run shirtless.

I began as usual, running to the first technical section and then up part of that as well.  I'd have to work really hard to run the rest of this part.  Maybe one day I'll try that.  I hiked the rest of it this time.

I cruised on past the bottom view.  I rarely stop on this run/hike any more.  It was much more of a hike today.  I felt quite terrible for some reason, even early on.  The heat might've had an impact, but it wasn't just that.

What always screws me up is that I try to hike after running and that never works.  My breathing is already labored and the hiking isn't easy, so I can't recover.  I noticed that I do hike quickly and I really lean into the mountain well. 

When I got to the rocky section, a bunch of school age children came hiking down.  I was laughing to myself, as my singlet said Trail WhippAss.  No one said anything if they noticed. 

After most of the really technical section was over, I encountered a guy resting on the rocks, while his friend was encouraging him to go on.  I told him that I'm doing two loops, so he can certainly do one.  Not sure if that worked, but I saw them on my second loop and they were hiking down and did make it to the top.

I encountered quite a few hikers.  I had run around the young kids and that made me go a little faster.  It was tough, as I was overheating and getting really beat.  I figured I'd still do another loop, but really I wasn't sure how.  I was mainly just hiking up and it was a struggle.  I drank some water.

Eventually, I came to the top.  That was a relief.  I got there in under 27 minutes too.  That's fairly quick for me.  I took a selfie of me with the singlet on at the view.  I then headed on the Blue Trail.

I was beat, but there was a breeze on the ridge.  That was nice.  It cooled me off a bit.  I was still stumbling on rocks every now and then and it was rocks that I should not be tripping over.

It was great to be heading downhill.  I took it much easier than last week's run here though.  For one, the heat had made me much less steady.  I did cool off going downhill and actually sort of recovered and felt good.

I picked my way down slowly.  While the Red Dot Trail was crowded, no one was taking the Blue Trail back down.  I think I might've had it all to myself.  If I didn't, I passed one or two groups of people at most.

I cruised back on to the AT at the bottom.  I ran along nice and easy back to the car.  It was over 55 minutes when I arrived there.  I felt much better now, but still had to take a break at the car.

I toweled off, took of my singlet and grabbed more water.  I also drank some concentrated Tailwind.  I had some of that before the run too.  It is so old though, so I'm not sure if it even worked.  I need to park in the shade next time I run here.

I headed back out after a couple minutes of rest.  I was quite beat as this loop started, so I knew it would be even more hiking.  I just wanted to get it in under 2 hours.

I hiked the early stairs and some of the flats.  I knew I'd also hike the technical section.  I saw a few of the hikers come down that were going up or down on my first loop.

I ended up running a little around the bottom view, but again I was so destroyed.  My body was overheating again, even as I was hiking.  My legs felt strong, but my body simply couldn't regulate its temperature very well.

I'm getting to know this trail so well now.  It is both good and bad.  Somehow, I keep missing this one turn in the technical part.  This loop, I finally didn't.  It is tough because even after this part, there is still about 400 feet of gain left.  I battled on up.

Finally, I got to the top about 1.5 hours into the run/hike.  I took a brief photo and headed on my way.  With my body struggling with the heat and the terrain being rocky, I ended up hiking a lot of the Blue Trail along the ridge too.

Once I started really hitting the downhill, I began to run again.  It was a slow run though.  I just picked my way through the rocks.  I passed two hikers on the steepest part.  They had poles and were moving carefully.  I noticed the one guy just watched my feet as I ran through the boulder minefield.

It was good to get through that part.  I kept running and felt a little better now that I was going downhill.  My concentration came back, although I still tripped on some rocks.  For the most part, my foot placement was at least acceptable.

I had a bad issue near the bottom though.  I bashed the front of my toe really hard on a rock.  I had to limp/walk after that for a bit.  Luckily, the pain wore off and I could run again and it isn't a problem now either.

I knew I had to hustle a little.  I would be very close to 2 hours when the loop was completed.  I cruised down the AT.  I saw a thru hiker on the AT. 

I kept watching the clock and it was at 1 hour 59 minutes for awhile.  Luckily, I made it in in just under 3 hours.  I was hot, but I feeling better than I had when I was hiking up.

I don't know what to think.  I clearly struggled so much running or hiking uphill and yet recovered so well going downhill.  I probably could've hiked another loop and then run down, but that would've been a suffer fest for sure.  I'd like to think maybe I can do 4 or 5 loops if I started in the early morning.  I seem to be pushing close to my limits though with the heat on the way up.  My legs felt super fresh and have a lot more in them.

It was a productive day.  Despite the heat and all the climbing, I really enjoyed it.  I never get tired of this loop.  I'm sure one day I will eventually, but not now.  It is such a great training ground.  It just short enough to run over and over again in the summer too.  I was glad to see no snakes or bears up there either.  I guess eventually I'll encounter them.

Tomorrow, I hope to run again.  I'd like to do something else with elevation.  Maybe I'll do repeats somewhere.  I have a nice and steep hill at South Mountain now.  There's also always the Katellen Trail.  I haven't been there in awhile.

7.42 miles - 1:59:52 (16:09 pace) 2351 feet of elevation gain
Summits 17 and 18 for 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment