Monday, June 15, 2015

Trexler Course Unmarking

I didn't run yesterday.  I road my bike and took video while road running friends hit the pavement.  That was a fun change.  I wanted to get back on dirt today.

Since I didn't work today, things were perfect for an earlier than usual run.  I didn't get a chance to get to Trexler to remove the flags after the Ten Hours of Trexler.  I went out to do that today.

It was very hot and humid when I began around lunchtime.  At least I would beat the storms though.  I knew I'd be dieing at Trexler with so much exposure.  I ran without a shirt.  I had to take it easy.  I knew I had to be careful with water.  I only had one full handheld.  Ideally, two handhelds would've been better for this 8.5+ mile loop.  Maybe I should start parking at the Zoo trailhead and then I can get water halfway through at the Environmental Center.

Instead, I started at the Environmental Center.  I was very disappointed a month or so ago, when I first saw the Border Trail reroute.  It takes out the amazing first steep climb.  Since I was looking to remove flags, I had to take the new Border Trail that we used for the race.  This was the first time I was on this section.

It started downhill and I have to admit I was impressed.  It was a beautiful, flowing singletrack with lush green on the sides and tree coverage above.  After a short bit, it began to switchback around to climb.  The climb is still a bit tough, although I'm sure I'll handle it fine in the cooler weather.  Today, I hiked.

I was surprised to see no flags at any of the turns.  I guess either someone from Trexler or maybe even a hiker removed them.  That allowed me to run along, although I was carrying a plastic bag.

It wasn't long and I was back to the normal trail and route.  The bison were out, but they were up high in their pen.  I guess they like to be there in the middle of the day, rather than near the road.

It was already hot and I was sweating plenty.  The exposed sun sections were brutal, like the long climb about 1.5 miles in.  I hiked the first part, but ran a lot of the rest of it.  I wasn't feeling too bad, since I was being careful.

Even though it was hot, the views in the open part along the top were amazing as always.  I really took them in.  I then headed back on the singletrack.  I went where a friend might've spotted a cougar last week.  I didn't see anything, but I was on the lookout.

I ran for a good stretch here.  I have to be careful.  I can't really run for much more than a mile straight in these conditions, or I start to overheat.  I need to run and hike. 

I got to the two short "false" hills.  Even those, which are steep with loose rock, were a struggle.  The big hill was just a beast.  The bottom is so exposed and the top is so steep.  It was draining me.

I hiked more on the next hill too.  I was being cautious and taking it easy.  While I wasn't feeling strong, my slower pace was allowing me to survive the conditions.  I may be adapting slightly too.

I knew that I needed to cool off in the creek crossing.  I poured my wet buff over my head.  That felt great.  There was a couple on the other side of the creek.  I think they might've been running, but I couldn't tell. 

Shortly after the creek and just before the road crossing, I found my first flag.  They were all over from this point on.  Some might've been picked up or blown away, but I'm ending up getting most of them in this second half of the run.  I was almost wondering if maybe the creek crossing guy was picking them up, since I saw them only after him.  I doubt it, but it was odd.

I ran easy when I could and when I felt like it.  The exposed sections were certainly the worst.  It felt so hot.  After the climb near the zoo, there was a good stretch of running.  I found a small stream after the other road crossing and poured more water over my head.  I did the same about a mile later, when I came to the wider crossing.  Using my buff to cool off with the water was a huge help.

I hiked up the long hill on the way to KidsPeace.  I ran on the dirt road, but then hike/ran on the rolling singletrack after that.  I was happy to be closing in on the Environmental Center.  The heat was slowly wearing at me.

I crossed the final road and was ready to climb again.  I went on the new section.  Again, this is a gradual switchback.  It wasn't as pretty as the other reroute section though.  It adds quite a bit of length too.

I went right to the parking lot and finished up.  I had be hoping to run under 1:40, but the extra distance did me in.  Still, it was a solid and smart run.  In the fall, I can run it harder and faster.  For now, I'll just try to survive.  I think I was able to pick up all of our flags too.

I did just beat the rain, so that was good.  It is supposed to rain all week.  I don't know when or where I'll run.  I guess I'll have to work around the weather.  We shall see.

8.85 miles - 1:45:41 (11:57 pace) 1177 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment