Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Another Tough Tammany Run

I haven't had a quality run in days.  I needed to get to Mt. Tammany.  I arrived about mid afternoon.  I figured that by this time, I'd just run 2 loops.

The weather was better for sure.  For me, that doesn't mean much at all.  Even with lower humidity, I still suffer.  Part of the issue here is that the Red Dot Trail doesn't have a lot of shade.  My shorts were completely soaked by the top of the first summit.

I knew it was going to be a struggle when I went to take some pictures by the beach.  I jogged up some stairs and didn't have it.  I don't think I fueled well enough during lunch.  I felt crappy from the start.

I ran the usual early part.  Then, I hiked the first rocky section.  I knew running it at all wasn't a good idea when I already felt kind of depleted.  However, I did try to hike it kind of hard.  That didn't work out great.

There were some nasty storms in that area the other night.  I guess they dumped a lot of rain.  There were streams where I don't remember ever seeing streams before.  My feet got quite wet.

I hiked up and up and up.  I know this trail so well by now.  I just kept pressing on.  The super technical boulder section was even wet and tough to navigate.  I didn't see many hikers in the some too, with my speed hiking.  I got to the top and took my usual photo.
beginning, but there were quite a few as I climbed.  I passed

The Blue Trail ridge section was a mix of running and hiking.  I caught some hikers right as it was descending.  I passed them running and they said, "good for you."  I picked my way down.  I didn't feel great or terrible at this point.  I didn't want to get injured on the rocks.

The water was running wild when I got to the waterfall at the bottom.  Even with my speed hiking up, I was slower than normal, thanks to the heat and/or lack of proper nutrition.  My run down was slower too and it was a few minutes under an hour when I finished the first loop.

I dried off a bit at the car.  I spent a few minutes there.  I figured that I might as well just get going.  It was going to be an ugly loop 2.

I hiked even some of the early parts that I often run.  I managed to avoid the bees around the one tree for a second time.  I didn't see much of anything on these loops.  I sluggishly picked my way up the mountain.  I barely ran at all.  It was basically a hike.

I took a little more time than usual at the top.  I was going slow anyway.  I also wasn't going to finish under 2 hours.  I mostly hiked the ridge.

I was glad to finally be descending the Blue Trail.  I didn't feel any worse than the first loop at least.  I went down slowly and controlled.  It would be nice to be able to hammer it a little, but I had to listen to my body.  I had no nutrition with me either, so I couldn't recover.

Most people were gone by now.  I did see a few hikers though.  I saw these cute little kids with their hiking gear on at the bottom.  I finished up and was very happy to be done.  I finished two loops, even if they weren't overly productive.  I figure that I've now done about 30,000 feet of gain and the same loss just on Tammany loops alone.

Tomorrow, I hope to run again.  It should be kind of easy.  Maybe I'll go to South Mountain.  I should switch it up sometime and go to Walking Purchase Park.  I haven't been there in awhile.  I could also just go to another section of the AT.  I'm leaning that way now actually.

7.10 miles - 2:08:38 (18:07 pace) 2373 feet of elevation gain
Mt. Tammany Summits 23 and 24 for 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment