Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Post Storm Run

Today was a frustrating day.  It was supposed to storm, so I waited things out in the afternoon.  Nothing came and instead it blew through around dinner time.  I almost didn't do anything.

I couldn't go where I wanted, so I had to stay local.  I went to Jacobsburg.  I figured even a short run is better than nothing.  I haven't been able to do anything good lately and today was more of the same.  At least it was a run though.

The storms were fierce, but fast moving.  They cooled things off a little I guess, but it was still humid after 7 PM.  At least it wasn't sunny.  I wore a sleeveless shirt.  It didn't last though, as I was too hot.  My shorts were soaked by the end of this short and easy run too.

I started off along the creek and it was nice and peaceful.  There was almost no one out today, so I had the trails mostly to myself and the wildlife.  My GPS didn't track right in the beginning, so my distance was always wrong.

I got to the gradual uphill.  I went easy, but was huffing and puffing up it.  Still, I ran it all.  I ran this entire run.  Most stuff I do now is just too steep to keep running.

I ran along the fields at the top.  The view of the mountain was sure pretty with the setting sun.  The trails had a little mud, but the rain was so brief earlier.

A deer ran across the trail as I neared the end of the field section.  It was cool to watch it, hop and hop again over the field.  I'm used to seeing deer in the woods, where they just disappear quickly.

After that part it was downhill and I was heading toward the car.  I didn't like how short this run would be though.  I was going to go out and back.  Then, I came to the trail behind the new building.  I decided to take it.

This is another nice climb.  Once again, I was huffing and puffing, but still running, as I picked my way up it.  I knew most of the challenge was over now though.

Next was my favorite place in all of Jacobsburg.  It is a fun, narrow singletrack ridge.  There are roots to navigate.  With it being wet, I was very careful over it.  If every part of the trail was like this, I'd have a lot more fun at Jacobsburg.

I then crossed back over the creek and headed for home.  I ran into a couple women walking over the bridge.  They were the first people I saw all day.  After finishing, I saw a guy hiking with an American flag.  That was interesting.

It wasn't a fun and challenging day, like I had hoped, but at least I got something done.  I really need to put in a good day tomorrow.  Maybe I can go to Mt. Tammany.  I need some climbing.  I've also been thinking about another trip to Pulpit Rock and The Pinnacle.

5.89 miles - 51:46 (8:47 pace) 404 feet of elevation gain INACCURATE DATA

No comments:

Post a Comment