Friday, June 5, 2015

Ten Hours of Trexler Course Marking

I've been busy putting together the Ten Hours of Trexler all week.  Combined with all the rain, I didn't run much.  I had to mark the course today, before the race.

It was getting hot and humid when I started.  I was able to wear a sleeveless shirt and there was a breeze, so it wasn't too hot.  However, I was run/hiking with a pack on my back, so it was hot.

I started by the bison pen, since that is our start/finish line.  There was a guy parked by the shed there, so I decided not to mark the course yet.  After I got over the hill, I began flagging.  I put flags in the ground at every turn and tried to put a ribbon in a nearby tree too.

It was stop and go, stop and go.  I forgot how many little parts of the trail there are with turns.  Before long, I was on to the road and out of the zoo.  I had to make sure to mark this turn back on to the trail.

There was a guy about to bike as I marked the course.  I ran/hiked up the long hill.  It was pretty running through the open fields, but it was also sunny and hot. 

It was good to be back on the singletrack.  Some of this part has overgrown branches.  I broke a few of them where I could.  I wanted a clipper, but I forgot it.

These first few miles weren't bad, but I knew the hills were coming.  Even hiking them was difficult.  The steepest one is still taxing.  Slowly, this run/hike was wearing on me.

It was good to get to the creek crossing.  It was at its typical height.  There was a dead animal before it.  We should probably remove that.

The big hills were done, but I was tiring a lot.  I had to hike most of the uphills.  I put up a lot of flags in the zoo area.  It took forever for me to open new packs of flags.  I was surprised at how many I used.  Maybe I over marked the course, but I think it is good.

At one point I was finally able to run for a stretch.  I was cruising along and didn't even see the two deer.  They jumped away, one in each direction.  That was cool.

I heard something else move off the trail.  If I didn't hear the toad, I never would've even noticed it.  It blended in so well.  I took some pictures.

I continued to mark the course, running and hiking.  I was getting exhausted with over 6 miles into the run.  I hiked the long hill.  I had to mark a bit on the dirt road later.

I came through the rolling section.  This was pretty, but hot again.  Before I knew it, I was to the new trail part.

I marked the old trail, but it was getting overgrown.  They cut the grass on the new trail quite well.  Ryan went through later and we decided that we'll use the new trail.

It was great to finally get back to the bison area.  It took well over 2 hours and I was beat and soaked.  I trimmed some grass for aid station too as well.  I packed up and I think we are good to go now.  People are still signing up, but that is about it.

Tomorrow will be no running, but a lot of time running around.  I'll be on my feet plenty.  Hopefully this event will go smoothly.  We are around 50 people now.  I'll probably need a good run on Sunday, after a crazy day tomorrow.

9.47 miles - 2:34:26 (16:19 pace) 1445 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment