Thursday, June 19, 2014

Slatington Post Rain Run

Today was a tricky day.  It wasn't raining hard, but it was raining almost all day.  I thought about maybe breaking my run up into two short runs.  I decided to wait it out.  Finally, there was a break around dinner time.  That meant that I had to try to get 12 to 15 miles done in one shot.  I didn't get a second run in yesterday, like I wanted to.

I love all the running options around here.  That said, when I plan on doing a run that is going to take over an hour and a half, I often have trouble settling in on a place.  I've put in so many miles on every rail trail and such in the LV, that I know them quite well.  If I had a running partner, that would be a big help.

I started driving to the D&L Trail at Cove Road.  Then, I changed my mind and decided to head farther up, into Slatington.  I've run that section fairly often too, but I haven't run the adjacent Slate Heritage Trail very much.   Not often enough to know the ins and outs of it anyway.  It is a nice and paved trail too.  I've never taken it to the end either.

It seemed cool and breezy when I started out.  I decided to wear a singlet and shorts.  That was probably a mistake.  I could've went shirtless.  I should just run shirtless for the remainder of the summer, since I sweat so much.

I headed out on the Slate Heritage Trail.  The legs felt slightly funny the beginning, but overall they are holding up pretty well.  I have to wonder if the weight training that I've been doing is paying off.

This section begins with some rolling hills.  It is quite scenic, along the creek.  It goes through Slatington, so you'd think it would be busy, but this first time out it was rather quiet.

It wasn't too long and I ran out of pavement.  It was still humid, so I was glad for the shade.  I was now on to the stone section.  I went under the PA Turnpike.  I crossed a road and shortly after that, another run.

I couldn't remember where I had stopped, but then I got to that part.  It was a section with a gate and the trail went through woods.  This part was very remote and went near a creek.  It was nice and peaceful and also shaded.  I enjoyed it.

I was happy to get to mile 3.  I saw that the trail went behind some houses, so I kept going.  I saw a dead frog on the trail.  Eventually, I came to some ball fields and a vacant park.  I figured that this must be the end of the trail.  I couldn't quite recall how far out it was supposed to go.

I then continued on a small road.  I wanted to get to 3.5 miles before turning around.  As I realized that there were no cars on this road, I kept going.  I ran out and eventually the road went next to some farm fields.  Still, there wasn't a car and this was a pretty wide road.

Finally, at mile 4, I turned around.  I knew when I got back that I would be over halfway done with the run.  That was great.  On the way back, I saw 2 cars on this road.  Still, that was barely anyone.

I went back and saw some kids will towels by the park.  I guess they were swimming in the creek.  I saw almost no one until I was back near Slatington.  There is this little dirt bike course next to the trail and I noticed that a guy was smoothing it out with a tractor.  I guess they are serious.

It wasn't too long and I was back Slatington.  I felt good as I neared mile 8.  I decided why not keep running.  I headed south on the D&L.

My singlet had been soaked for awhile and by now my shorts were getting very wet too.  They were grey and you could see where I was sweating.  After awhile, they were completely soaked and it didn't look too bad.  It felt awful though.

I was clicking off fairly consistent miles.  The pace was slightly under 8 minutes overall.  There was more shade on this section.  There are some cliffs along the trail that blocked out the setting sun.  It was great.

I was going to go out to mile 10, but didn't quite make it that far.  I came up behind a lady that was running and just decided to head back.  I wasn't thirsty, but I also didn't have much water.

This section of the trail was fairly busy, now it was the early evening too.  Mostly, it was bike riders and some families.  It wasn't too long and I was back to my car.  I was at 11.4 miles.

I was completely soaked, so I dropped off my singlet, toweled off briefly and grabbed more water.  I had less than 4 miles to do.  I decided to go back on to the paved Slate Heritage Trail.

I cruised along on there and felt pretty good.  The sun was even closer to setting now and it was certainly much cooler.  I tried to enjoy myself and focus on getting to the turnaround.

I wanted to at least get out a mile.  After I did that, I kept adding a bit here and there.  I continued on until I went over the bridge and on to the stone section.  That was mile 13.15.

I had less than 2 miles to go and I was also going downhill. I felt good, so I picked it up slightly.  Most of my miles were under 8 minutes and fairly consistent.  Mile 14 was a 7:37.

I got back to Slatington with just a short distance to go.  I ran south on the D&L again, to finish up.  This final mile was a 7:29.  I certainly didn't fall off.  It was another productive run.  Even if it wasn't that hot, it was quite humid.

I definitely need to watch my toe carefully.  I just got new shoes and they are causing my black toenail.  I love these shoes though, so I might have to buy another pair, with a wider width.  Maybe that will work.  It doesn't bother me too much during the run, but it is a bit of a problem afterward.  I thought wearing my toe socks helped today and that so did running on some stone sections, but I guess they didn't do much.

I'm now done with 67 miles for the week.  Again, I'm not running with Kelley in the morning.  That is too bad because it would be a huge help.  I'd like to run twice tomorrow.  That definitely can happen if I drag myself out of bed.  I still have some work to get to 90 miles for the week, but it is well within reach, especially if I put in a big day tomorrow.

15 miles - 1:58:28 (7:54 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment