Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Heat Adapting with 15 Miles

It hasn't been very warm yet this summer.  That has made training for my summer marathon kind of tricky.  I really need to get used to the heat and humidity.  I learned this the hard way with the half marathon on Sunday.

I took a much needed day off yesterday, after 9 straight days of running.  I wanted to try to get in a run in the morning today, but I was hoping for 15 miles.  I knew that that would take about 2 hours and be tough to do before work.  Instead, I headed out in the afternoon.

All day long it was cloudy.  There was a chance of isolated thunderstorms.  Of course, right as I began the run (around 3:15), the sun came out.  I ran shirtless, since I figured that it would be hot.  That was a good choice, other than all the bugs I was covered with after the run.

I wanted to run somewhere different, so that I could enjoy the run.  I decided to run the D&L section south of Easton.  I like this section.  It is pretty, next to the Delaware River and it is underutilized.  It's kind of a peaceful run on my own.

I headed several miles south of Easton, to a park on the Delaware Canal State Park.  I filled my handheld and was off.  I wanted to start by heading south.  The farther out I could go, the better.  I wasn't sure with the heat though.

The first mile was great.  It was an 8:10 and I was taking it easy.  I didn't look at my watch too often and it was relaxing.  I love running in new places.  I ran this part of the trail twice in the fall, but haven't been back there since.

The last time I ran in the heat, I pushed too much and fell apart.  Today, it was all about running easy and for a long time.  One of the tricky things was that I didn't eat much lunch.  I also knew that going out I wouldn't have any water stops.  My only water would be that which was in my handheld.

I cruised along and it was tough at times.  There's some shade, but a lot of the trail is exposed to the sun.  I was frying for a bit.  Running through the small town of Reigelsville, about 3 miles into the run was nice.  It's a cute, little place.  They are doing work on some bridges overhead.

All my miles were now under 8 minutes.  They weren't too far under though, so I was holding back.  I went by a Strawberry patch at one point.  That was neat, but it was very hot in this section.  I made it to 4 miles, then 5 miles and kept going.

Finally at mile 6, I decided that I better turn around.  I was getting quite hot and sweaty.  I still had about half of my water.  I wasn't drinking a lot of it.  I didn't want to get stuck too far out though.

I knew that the running in the heat on the way back would be the toughest.  I just tried to stay focused on the upcoming mile.  I went back past the Strawberry patch around 7.5 or 8 miles and was dieing.  I tried to drink a little more.

I was happy with each passing mile.  I was starting to get slightly sore.  My legs were bothering me a bit, as was my back.  This is a different surface.  It's mostly stone, but not completely even.  There is dirt too.  At least it is very flat.  That made for consistent miles.

I was actually surprised that my pace was getting even faster too.  I adapted to the heat a little better.  I was thrilled to make it to mile 10.  I knew I could tough out the final 2 miles back to my car.

I had most of this trail to myself.  I don't think I saw more than 10 people total during the whole run.  Only 1 other runner was out there.  He was moving fairly well.  He must've been fresh.

The last mile back to the car was a bit tough.  I was getting tired and sore.  I battled on though.  Finally, I was back to the park.  I thought about stopping at my car, but decided to just quickly fill my handheld and go.  All I needed was some water.

I filled up and went back out.  Without much of a break, it was tough.  I just needed to get out 1.5 miles and then turn around.  I only had 3 miles left.  That was easier said than done though.  It was a battle.

This time I headed north.  It was very hot in that direction.  I struggled a lot.  I thought I was slowing down, but my times didn't indicate it.  Getting to the turnaround was a big relief.  One thing that was nice during the middle and end of this run was that there was a breeze.  That provided some relief.

I sputtered along in the final mile and a half.  I didn't look at my watch too often during the run, but now, I kept taking a peek.  The last half mile seemed like forever.  Finally, I finished up at the park.  I was very hot and tired and a little sore.

This was a tough run and just what I needed.  I was happy to get that many miles in and happy to run a sub 8 minute pace.  I'm still not hopeful that I'll be able to run a marathon well next month, but at least I can say I'm trying.  Some more long runs like this in the heat and I'll at least adapt better.  Whether it is enough though, remains to be seen.

I need a lot of miles this week.  I'm hoping to break in my new shoes tomorrow morning.  That would be a 5 miler.  I'd like to run 10-12 in the afternoon or evening.  I was considering a 5k in the evening, but it is in Harrisburg, so it isn't likely.

15 miles - 1:56:57 (7:48 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment