Thursday, June 19, 2014

More Heat

Wednesday was just another steamy day.  Tuesday had been too, but I took a much needed day off.  Since I didn't work on Wednesday, I got out for the heat filled run at around 11 AM.  I headed to Riverview Park, hoping for like 10+ miles.

I made sure to start out nice and easy.  The first mile usually doesn't feel too bad.  Then, the next couple miles I start to get sweaty and it gets worse.  Then, I get used to it and it kind of isn't as bad any more.

I went shirtless of course and brought along my handheld.  I headed out toward Easton.  The one nice thing is that there is quite a bit of shade on this section.  I knew part of the course along the canal would be hot though.

I started slow and merely tried to stay consistent.  It was so hot that even the geese were actually in the water for a change.  The one nice thing is that even with the temperature in the upper 80s and a lot of humidity, at least there was a breeze.  That helped and has helped a lot of the beginning of this summer.

I continued to cruise along.  I actually didn't drink all that much.  I'm kind of getting used to running in the heat without taking in too much water.  I should probably drink more.

The shade made a big difference and the final mile to mile and a half before the turnaround was very helpful.  I enjoyed the scenery.  I did hear a loud horn, that sounded like it could be from a boat, but I never didn't figure out what it was.

Before long, I was heading over the river and toward downtown Easton.  I decided to just continue on.  Even though it was hot, I ran along Larry Holmes Drive.  I wanted to open with some additional mileage.  I came to 3.5 miles just before the Route 22 Bridge.

I headed back through the unshaded section.  I couldn't wait to get back into the shade.  It wasn't too long and I was there.  At times, I did feel slightly lightheaded, but it wasn't too bad.

I came back running pretty consistent times.  I can't run too hard, but I'm learning how to stay solid.  Maybe later in the summer, I'll even be able to run faster.

After the first few miles were over 8 minutes, I began running mostly sub 8 minute miles.  When I got to Hugh Moore Park, I decided to loop around the park.  That was a nice way to add a mile to the run.

I got back to my car for a short break at 8.22 miles.  I quickly toweled off and drank some more.  I wasn't feeling too bad, so I wanted to keep going.

This time, I headed toward the Route 33 Boat Launch.  I know that this section is shaded, but I wasn't sure if I'd have cover at this point.  Thankfully, I did and things worked out good.  

I arrived at the Boat Launch almost exactly at 2 miles from my car.  That was a perfect way to get me to 12 miles total.  Going into the run, I wasn't sure how long I'd run, but now I decided on 12 miles.  That would be long enough in the heat.

This section had much more people than the early part of my run.  I even saw another guy running slowly.  I felt pretty good, so I picked it up slightly over the last 2 miles.  Mile 11 was a 7:48 and Mile 12 was a very solid 7:26.  I still wasn't pushing hard during those 2 miles.

It was good to be done and I think I'm getting used to the heat.  I am having an issue with a black toenail.  It has bothered me slightly during the runs and I'll have to keep an eye out for it.  I've never had one before.

I'm not sure on my plan for Thursday, but obviously it will include plenty of running.  I need 38 miles to hit 90 for the week.  I wanted to run with Kelley in the morning, but she is sick.  I guess I'll run on my own, but no idea where at.

12 miles - 1:35:01 (7:55 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment