Friday, June 13, 2014

Putting in a Big Day in the Humidity

I needed 30 miles over the final two days of the week, to get to 80 miles total.  I knew that that could be a tall task, especially with the weather forecast calling for rain all day.  I did manage to luck out.  I figured that I could probably get a window to run a few miles anyway.

I didn't work and it rained early in the morning, but cleared out by noon.  I knew this was my window, so I got out there to run, just after eating.  I went to Jacobsburg and was hoping to run 15 miles.  However, it was now hot and humid and I wasn't sure what I could handle.

I wore shorts and went shirtless.  I tried out my new sweatband.  I also put a lot of stuff on the chafed areas and they now seem a lot better.  I still had plenty to complain about.

Since I wasn't sure what I could handle.  I walked some of the short, easy hills in the beginning.  I wanted to be conservative.  I would need to run around most of the park, so I elected to get the open field section over with first.

The beginning of these summer runs are just terrible.  Only about a mile in and I was already dripping with sweat.  I had walked a lot by that point too.  After walking the uphill, it was to the open field.  That was just brutal with the sun blazing.  I moved forward though.

I think I might've seen a deer's tail in this part.  I definitely did see 2 groundhogs.  I was glad that the second part of this loop is downhill.  That made things a little better.  I could've climbed the hill behind the new building, to add mileage.  Instead, I went straight back to the parking lot.  That was 3.5 miles.

My next plan was to run the big loop around the park that I normally do.  I figured that that would get me around 10 miles and if I went up the hill, even more.  I walked here and there again.  I was in no hurry.

I felt a little better now that I got used to the heat and also was in the shade.  There was a bit of a breeze.  However, I was still sweating like crazy and soaked by about 50 minutes into the run. 

A lot of the run was uneventful.  I tried to run a lot.  With all of the rain, I knew the normally muddy section would be a blast.  It was a lot of fun.  I cruised through it.

The miles do seem kind of quick when running on a trail.  I just don't look at my watch often.  That said, I do know this trail too well, so it isn't as quick as other trails would be.

When I was across from the powerline, I saw a guy running up that trail.  I was planning on walking it, since it is exposed to the sun.  I thought I might have to run it with him doing that though.  However, he ended up coming down it a short time later.

I did walk up it.  I walked until I got into the shade.  That slowed my overall time, but I knew I'd have some fast downhill coming.  I couldn't believe that when I hit 7.5 miles, I was only halfway to 15.  The run was moving by at a decent clip, but I still had well over an hour left and I was soaked.  I definitely don't enjoy summer running.

I came down the hill and cut a lot of time.  I saw some mountain bikers.  There were quite a few people out.  Not too many on the back part, mostly walkers near the main area.  I got back to the road somewhere around mile 9.

I ran on the road briefly and then back on the trail.  A truck was coming right before the trail and I slipped when I went on it.  At least I didn't fall and nothing was hurt.  I just stretched out a bit.

I needed more mileage, so this time I ran up the hill.  Actually, I walked the hill and ran the rest.  I love the ridge section.  I passed a guy and his dog there and he commented on how well I was running.  I didn't feel that way.  By then, I was sluggish and tiring quite a bit.  At least I enjoyed myself.  I crossed the creek and got back to the other side.  When I ended the loop, I was a little over 11 miles.

I made my one rare stop at this point.  I quickly refilled my handheld.  I wanted 15 miles, but I knew I'd be happy with 12 miles.  Still, I wanted to have less to do tomorrow, so I soldiered on.  The pace seemed slow, but it wasn't.  I flirted with a 9:30 overall pace for a lot of this run.

I went across the road from the main lot.  I figured that I'd try to go out 2 miles there.  I made it less than a mile and felt like heading back.  I decided to go back on a little longer way.  That didn't add all that much.  I finished this short loop at a little over 13 miles.  A dog that I saw earlier jumped at me this time.

I wasn't feeling all that great, but I was so close to 15 miles.  I decided to take the short route back out to the road.  That wouldn't be too hilly.  I did that and then went back on the trail.  I hit mile 14 at the bridge and turned around.  I was close to running under 2:20, but it didn't look like I would make it. 

The sky was starting to get dark in the final 1.5 miles.  In the last half mile, I felt a few drops.  I had to briefly run on the main path.  There I saw two other trail runners.  The guy had a big beard and really looked like a trail runner.  I finished up exhausted with 15 miles.

This was a good run and a nice battle with the heat and humidity.  I've run farther at Jacobsburg, but typically I stop more.  This time, I stopped only very briefly and I didn't walk all of that much.  In the final few miles, I kept going.  I made it out just in time as it was pouring 10 minutes later when I was on the road.

That run was timed perfectly.  The heavy rain and lightning didn't last long.  They were coming in waves.  Since I saw another one was coming later at night, I decided to try another run in the evening.

I went to some neighborhoods not too far from me.  I actually plotted out a 6 mile route on the computer, earlier in the evening.  That seemed like it would be perfect.

I parked at a small park.  I began by running over to an industrial park on the other side of Route 512.  Crossing that road was kind of tricky.  I made it though.  Even though that was busy, I knew the industrial park route would be perfect.

I ran the loop and stayed to the outside, so I was actually running with traffic.  Luckily, there wasn't much traffic and the road is pretty wide.  I wore my new shoes.  I felt awesomely fast in them.  The problem is that they irritate the top of my foot for some reason.  I kept stopping to adjust them.  Finally, it went away.

The first mile was solid and I was surprised at how much faster I began running.  I guess the trail running didn't take too much out of me and I still felt fresh.  There were some slight uphills in the industrial park that were surprising.

Crossing Route 512 took some time again.  I managed to get across it though.  I ran back past my car.  That put me at over 3 miles.  I was happy to have less than 3 miles remaining.

I was feeling good and moving quickly up the hill.  It was definitely still a bit humid, but after the rain, things were much better.  Running shirtless on this evening definitely did help too.

After climbing the hill, I crossed a road and was into a neighborhood loop.  I've ridden here and run here from time to time, but it has been awhile.  A few people were out and some kids watched me run by.

I couldn't believe how good I felt and how quick the pace was.  I hit mile 5 of this run and was still going strong.  I was running close to goal marathon pace, without too much effort.  I'd be thrilled if I could do that next month.

I got back to my car and was disappointed that I wasn't at mile 6 yet.  I was just short.  By now, I knew that I'd be running to mile 7.  I had to go out and back in another neighborhood.  I was moving pretty well.  I got to 6.5 miles and turned around and headed back.  A dog barked at me, but didn't leave the yard.

All of the final 3 miles were 7:06 or faster.  That was not bad on such a big mileage day.  I finished the day with 22 total miles and I'm now 8 miles short of 80 for the week.  I'm hoping to get all of that in in the morning with the BCR.  They are running at Plainfield.  I don't like it there, but I do like where they go for breakfast, so I'll probably join.  I have to mix in some weight training before bed too!

Afternoon Run 15 miles - 2:19:55 (9:20 pace)
Evening Run 7 miles - 52:29 (7:30 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment