Sunday, June 15, 2014

Long Day Double

Last week was a busy week.  This week, I started it off with another big day.  I had a 20 miler scheduled.  I wanted to push this a bit, so I planned to meet up with Mertz and his crew at Eddyside at 7:30 in the morning.

I would've been there on time, but I had to go to the bathroom at the last minute.  Last time I was there, there were no portable bathrooms, so I headed to a gas station on Larry Holmes Drive.  I sent Mertz a text saying that I'd be late, but I figured he probably wouldn't get it.  Of course there were bathrooms there.  I also so Mertz running out as I was driving up.

When I got there, two other guys were there.  I thought one of them was his friend Rich, but I didn't know the other guy.  I was correct.  They were stretching and I didn't really know how long it would take, so I just took off.  I had 20 miles to do and was already behind.  I didn't want to waste any more time.

It seemed cool at the start, so I wore a short sleeve shirt and my compression pants.  I also had on my visor.  That gear made me hot as the run progressed.

I started off pretty comfortable as I headed to downtown Easton.  I was planning on at least two out and back segments.  I had a decent 7:34 first mile.  They are doing work under the Route 22 Bridge, so I took a longer route, following the detour.  That would add some distance.

I tried to gradually pick it up.  It was a nice and scenic run along the Delaware River and then the Lehigh River.  As I went down the path, I saw Rich and the other guy above me.  I didn't try to pick up the pace, but I guess I did.  The 3rd and 4th miles were both under 7 minutes.  It didn't seem too hard.

Somewhere before the 4th mile, I saw Mertz heading back.  He was cruising.  By now, I could tell that I needed to slow it down a bit.  It was good to hit 4 miles and turn around.  I thought about going out farther, but elected not to.

On the way back, I did back the pace off.  I was getting hot regardless.  My miles were just over 7 minutes each.  That's still around goal marathon pace, so I was happy. 

I got very lucky as I took the construction detour.  I came under a bridge and for some reason, I thought it was a stop sign that the opposing traffic had and not a stoplight.  I didn't even look and I darted right out in front of a car.  I was narrowly missed.  I got very lucky.  Needless to say, I paid more attention after that.

I cruised on back to the car.  When I was on the sidewalk section back, I saw the three guys heading back out for their 2nd segment.  I was glad that they didn't wait for me, because there is no way I would've kept up.  I can hang with Mertz for awhile in the cold, but this heat and humidity kills me.

I got back to the car at mile 8.  It was about a 7:10 pace overall.  Not bad, but I was very beat and sweaty.  I took some extra time to dry off and then ate some GU Chomps and drank some water.  The break was much needed.

I knew that I would never last 20 miles if I didn't slow down a bit.  I did that by a few seconds per mile.  I actually dropped off my visor and shirt in the car.  Now, all I had on was no shirt and compression pants.  I wasn't too comfortable wearing so little, but I was hot, so I did it anyway.  I did actually cool off in the beginning.

In the sun, things were tough.  They got a little better in the shade.  I went back along Larry Holmes Drive again and over the river.  On the other side, I saw two friends, Frank and Dave.  Then a few minutes later, Elyssia.  Seeing other people you know, even if you don't run with them, is a nice boost.  Having the faster guys running around helped me go faster too, even though I was alone.

Even with the slower pace, the heat and humidity was getting to me.  I just tried to focus on getting to the turnaround.  I wanted to go out to 6 miles from the start, but I figured that that would be too far.  Right at mile 4 of this segment, I saw Mertz and then the other guys not too far behind.  I was about 2 miles behind I guess.

Rich was encouraging, but I told him I felt like crap.  I sputtered along, with my miles now flirting with 7:30.  I kept at it though.  I ended up going to the loopy part of Hugh Moore Park.  I turned around slightly short of where I wanted to.  It was mile 12.8.

I came back and struggled with the short hills.  Getting to the half marathon point was tough, but seeing that my overall pace was still around 7:15, made me happy.  Still, I was slipping.  I focused on getting to mile 15.

Seeing that I was getting closer and closer to Easton helped a lot.  I just tried to take it a mile at a time.  I thought about the fact that I ran 50 miles in one day a few weeks ago.  I figured I could survive 5 or 6 more miles.  Plus, I only had to go around 17.5 miles and I would be at my car again.

I went through Easton and headed back toward Eddyside.  Although my pace had dropped slightly, it really wasn't falling off much.  I finally made it back to my car around 17.67 miles.  I was exhausted.  Mertz and the crew were finished with their run and hanging out for a bit.  I talked to them briefly, dried off and got more water.  I had to get back out there.  The pace was still under 7:20.

I headed back out on the sidewalk.  I don't like running on sidewalk, but I think the course I'm running next month has some of it.  I might as well get used to it.  I went until this was over and then headed up the street a bit.  I came back slowly.  My overall pace slowed, but it wasn't too bad.  It was great to get back to the park and be done with 20 miles.

I was amazed at how I felt afterward.  I was tired and sweaty, but the legs felt pretty good.  There was only minor soreness.  I think back to last spring when a 17 miler nearly killed me.  I am so much stronger now.  I wonder if weight training is helping too.

I was happy with my overall pace of 7:22.  I wish I could've been a little more consistent with it.  In the winter, I can go too hard and not fall off too bad.  In the summer, that crash comes quickly for me.

Almost immediately after the run, I thought about doing a shorter run in the evening.  I recovered well throughout the day and decided to give it a go.  I headed to the Nor-Bath Trail after 7 PM.  Lately, I've been starting in the middle of the trail.  This time, I started on the end closest to my house.

I went without a shirt and that helped.  I still did sweat enough.  It was humid out, but also kind of cool.  I couldn't complain too much.  It could be worse.

I headed out and felt very good.  Sometimes a second workout is slow.  I felt good for this one though.  The first mile was pretty solid.  Amazingly, I made it over Airport Road without much trouble.

The big issue was the bugs.  They were everywhere.  One even hurt my head.  I was itching like crazy.  I could see them so well in the sunlight.  I decided to put on my sunglasses and keep my mouth closed as much as I could.  I saw couple running the other way and they were swatting at the bugs too. 

There were quite a few people out on the trail.  Most of them were biking.  The legs felt good as I hit the turnaround point.  I didn't want to cross Weaversville Road, so I turned around at 2.47 miles.

Heading back was nice.  Either the bugs had left or I couldn't see them without the sunlight's reflection.  The pace was slightly over 8 minutes per mile.  I had no reason to push it.

I focused on getting to mile 3 and then mile 4.  That 4th mile was slightly under 8 minutes and caused my overall pace to dip.  I felt good in the last mile.  I flew over Airport Road.  I finished up at the end of the path.  This mile was an even faster 7:24.  That brought my overall pace under 8 minutes.

I was a little sore after the run, but still not too bad.  I was thrilled to open the week with 25 total miles.  That's a good start, especially since this week will be kind of hectic.  I'm hoping to run a few miles in the morning.  I plan to run in the afternoon tomorrow too.  I'm thinking 10 to 15 miles total.  Normally, I take Mondays off, but I think it is better to run tomorrow and take Tuesday off.  Then, I can go to an IndyCar test at Pocono on Tuesday.  I'd pick it back up again on Wednesday.

AM Run 20 miles - 2:27:23 (7:22 pace)
PM Run 5 miles - 39:53 (7:58 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment