Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Most Humid Day So Far

I thought we've had some hot and humid days this summer.  I was wrong.  Nothing compared to today's weather.  I slacked off and didn't get out until the evening, but that didn't make a difference.

The plan was an easy 10 miles.  I decided to run at the Route 33 Boat Launch.  I wanted to run on the softer stone/dirt trail.  I headed out without a shirt as usual.

I headed toward Freemansburg, on the softer stuff.  I could tell early on that it would be a tough one.  I was going super slow, but still sweating a lot.  The legs felt kind of dead, even though I'm not running that much this week.  I think it is because I'm running in old shoes.  My new shoes gave me a black toenail and blister.  I guess I have to figure something out.

I thought this might be a good location, because I could go 3 different directions.  It definitely would be easier to do a couple short out and backs, but I'm stubborn and like a challenge.  I didn't end up running short segments.

There were a few kids swimming again in the beginning and some people horsing around on personal watercraft in the river.  I saw a bunch of bikers and a few walkers too.  The scenery was nice.  It was just too bad that I couldn't enjoy it much with the heat.

While this section is pretty, it is a lot of nothingness.  It's mile after mile of trail, surrounded by trees and bushes.  The sun wasn't even peaking through late in the day, but I was still hot.

I kept going along slowly.  Most of my miles were over 8 minutes.  I drank from time to time too.  It was good that I had my handheld.  I kept going out farther and farther.  I really wanted to get to 3.5 miles.

I got there and continued on.  I got to Freemansburg.  That was a nice change of pace.  At least it was something else to look at.  There were geese in the canal, but later on, I saw some on the trail.  Four miles was enough, so I turned around at that point.

Of course I like going out farther, but then that means a long way back.  If the weather is nice, it's not bad.  With this humidity, it was awful.  The beginning of the way back seems slightly uphill too.  It was a struggle.

Getting to mile 5 was nice, except that I was only halfway done.  I kept looking at my watch too frequently and was breaking the run down into percentage done and remaining.  That didn't make it much better.

I made it through miles 6 and 7.  Shortly after mile 7, I was at the beginning of the Boat Launch section.  It was a singletrack run back to my car at mile 8.

By now, I wasn't going to stop of course.  I headed out the other direction on the pavement.  I thought about turning around before mile 9, but I kept going.  I passed another runner going back.

It was good to be to 9 miles.  I couldn't believe how slow I was going.  Finally, I was back to the Boat Launch.  It was good to be done, even though the run sucked.

I couldn't believe how soaked I was at the end.  I had to wring out my shorts.  I can't stand when it is this humid.  It is frustrating to know that there are two more months of it left.

I think tomorrow I'll run in the afternoon again.  I'm hoping for 10 miles or maybe more.  I might watch the US soccer game, so maybe I'll run at Sand Island.  I would like to run after dark one of these nights.

10 miles - 1:21:42 (8:10 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment