Thursday, June 12, 2014

A Slow 7

Today was a tough day to run.  Tomorrow, looks to be even worse.  It didn't rain all day today, but it was off and on.  I had to pick my spots.  I waited and eventually ran late in the afternoon.

So I didn't waste time, I ran around my neighborhoods.  I was hoping for 5 miles at least, but really wanted 7 miles.  Running 10 to 12 miles would've been outstanding.

I am tired of the same routes, so I decided to head to the neighborhood next to the school, rather than the one across from it.  This has a gradual hill pretty early on.  I began the run very slow.

I wasn't sure if I was even going to run today, because I've had some chafing problems.  I've tried to put on some creams, but that only helped a little.  I'm still sore.  I am also stubborn, so I had to run.

The chafing definitely slowed me down, not that that is a bad thing.  The first mile was over 9 minutes.  I almost never run that slow.  In that mile, I encountered two older guys running together.  I usually don't see anyone in that neighborhood, other than walkers. 

I cruised down the hill and into the industrial park.  I was hoping that I could get over 5 miles on this part of the run.  Then, maybe I wouldn't have to run across the street.  I had on my new shoes and they worked fairly well.

I got to the industrial park and turned around.  I headed to the end of the road and went back.  I was well over 2 miles at this point.  I then added a short loop through some new houses.  I was back up climbing another long, gradual hill.

The pace had picked up slightly by mile 3, but it still wasn't fast.  When I was back into the neighborhood, I decided to run the two dead end streets there.  Those out and backs would give me more mileage and add a couple decent hills.  I was surprised that the first one added about 3/4 of a mile.

I made it through both of the hills and headed back.  When I arrived back at the school, I was just at mile 6.  I had another mile to go.  I actually wanted to add .13 miles to even up my mileage for the week.

I didn't want to go into my neighborhood initially, so I did two loops around the school parking lot.  I still had about half a mile to go and was getting bored.  I did a partial loop of my neighborhood to finish up.

Overall, this run wasn't bad, other than the dampness of the air.  Summertime is so terrible.  I was sweating quite a bit throughout this easy run.  It was cloudy, rainy and the temperature wasn't that high either.  At one point, it rained quite a bit.  That was refreshing, but it didn't last.  I'm still having the chafing issue, but it doesn't seem as bad.

I really wanted to get out for a 2nd run.  I was going to run at night, but it is raining now.  I thought the rain would come sooner.  I could've actually snuck in a run just before dark.  I'm now mad that I didn't.

I still have 30 miles that I would like to run over the next two days, to finish out the week.  That will be a lot of running.  I'm hoping to get to the trail tomorrow.  That would make running 15 miles much easier.  It would be nice to get to Jacobsburg.  The problem is that it is supposed to rain all day.  I may have to find a window.  I might need to run twice.  I may even need to give up my quest for an 80 miles week.

7.13 miles - 58:49 (8:15 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment