Thursday, June 5, 2014

Hill Week 2014: Bear Creek

Today was the 5th run of 7 for Hill Week 2014.  We met at Bear Creek.  They have fairly regular Thursday evening group runs, so I made the run this day.  It's a fun and challenging place to run.  You run on a trail around the outside of the ski slope.

It wasn't too bad weather conditions today.  However, it is still humid for me.  I wore a singlet and it was soaked by the end.  I sweat so much.  We've had great weather all week.  I'm glad for that.

Since I've been leading this run, most of the week has been kind of easy for me.  I'm now in good enough shape that I can do these climbs with an easy effort and they aren't challenging.  Even running slow in the past used to be a struggle for me on trails with climbs.  My fitness has improved a lot.

We had a small group and it is an easy trail to follow.  Plus, I figured Wayne would be sticking in the back with Jess and Miriam.  That meant that I could try to hang with the fast guys and push it a bit.  Last month was my best run ever here because I arrived late and had to catch everyone.

I led the way early on and was moving pretty well.  I almost ran through a closed section.  Then, Aaron and Pat went by me.  That was good since Aaron knows the trail better anyway and I sometimes get lost in the beginning of this route.

I followed the two of them back into the woods.  We were moving pretty good as we went in and out.  I was breathing heavy and it was quite early.  It was flat, so that helped.

Then, we began to climb.  I was able to hang with both of them through the beginning of the climb.  That didn't last very long though.  I'd like to think I'm pretty fast, but those two were amazing.  They kept pulling away.  Since I went so hard, so early, it was a struggle.

As I got to the flat part, I saw Aaron stopped off to the side.  He decided to wait for me, Tim and Rob.  Rob and Tim were a bit behind me.  Pat had decided to keep going and that he would wait for us at the top.

This next section is a fun challenge.  It is very rocky and technical.  It is also quite steep.  We came across some mountain bikers in this area and that was a bit annoying.  Aaron didn't take off too much.  Once the terrain leveled off and became smooth, he was gone.

Aaron stopped again and so did I.  I realized that my watch had not restarted for this previous segment.  That meant I lost close to a mile.  Oh well, it wasn't that big of a deal.

This time, Aaron told Tim to lead.  We had some fun, flat sections and then the trail began to climb again.  This pace wasn't bad, but a little slower than I'm used to going.  Maybe everything was taking its toll because I started to struggle a bit.  It was also very muddy.

Aaron went by Tim and I passed Rob on the last steep section right before the top.  This climb was very tough for me and I was breathing heavy at the top.  My butt was whipped.  Pat was waiting at the top and we all waited for Rob.

Now, it was on to the fast, fun downhill.  I stayed in the back of the group and cruised along.  I can fly downhill, but I was in no hurry.  I was just enjoying the run.  Tim was talking to me at one point, but Rob was in between us, so I went by him.  I chatted with Tim for awhile.

Then, Tim told me to go by him.  By now, Aaron and Pat were long gone.  Tim wanted to make sure Rob found his way out.  The end can be tricky.  I get lost in that area too.

There is some in an out in this section.  That is followed by some deceptive short climbing.  It wasn't as tough this time as when I was beat last month.  It wasn't easy though.  The bikes came flying by again.

I was happy that I took the correct route through the whole thing.  It isn't easy to follow.  I made it though and then came out on the parking lot.  It was another fun run.  This one was more challenging than the others.  We hungout for awhile afterward.

It was definitely a humbling run.  I don't hit trails as much as I'd like and especially not ones with a lot of climbing.  I also don't often push myself on trail runs.  I take in the scenery more.  This run showed me how far I still have to go to hang with the top guys.  It's a long process and improvement doesn't happen overnight.  Once I get a BQ out of the way, I'll run roads less and trails much more.  That should help me improve a lot too.

Tomorrow is the 6th day of Hill Week 2014.  We going to meet at Jacobsburg.  That is by far the easiest run of the week.  If I get a chance in the morning or afternoon, I'm hoping to run 10 miles or so.  That should be a good time too.

3.9 miles - 40:07 (10:17 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment