Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Testing Out the Dion Snowshoes

Yesterday, I knew I couldn't run far, so I rode my bike for 2 hours.  That was a solid workout.  I was hoping for a couple miles of running today, but it snowed all day, so I never got the chance for a real run.  The good news is that with the snow, I was able to test out my new Dion Snowshoes.

I bought them because almost everything I've read about snowshoes said they are the best.  They also sell them in three parts, the frame, the cleats and the bindings.  I opted to go with the running frames, the secure fit bindings and the standard cleats.  They put them all together and ship them assembled.  Each piece can be replaced if broken or interchanged with another type of piece.

My plan for the evening was to just test the snowshoes out with a short mile loop around the elementary school.  It is nice having an elementary school right next to my house.  As I found out, the loop I'm able to do around most of the perimeter of their property is almost exactly a mile long.  There is some nice little elevation change for practice too.

I put these snowshoes on and they don't snap into place, so I was worried that I might not have them secured well enough.  However, they stayed on fine and I had no problems.  They never fell off and weren't even loose.

These snowshoes were designed specifically for running.  They are so much lighter than the snowshoes that I originally got for Christmas, which were hiking ones.  Since I haven't run much in snowshoes, it did take a short time to adjust.  Once you get going though, it isn't too difficult.  It is definitely harder than a trail run, but around the same pace. 

I ran along pretty good.  I had a headlamp, but didn't turn it on much.  The snow made everything bright enough.  That's one thing I love about snow. 

My breathing became labored as I approached 3/4 of a mile.  I wasn't going all out, but since I only planned on running a mile, there wasn't much point in going slow.  I ran that mile in exactly 9 minutes flat.

I can't wait to get back out there tomorrow and really run.  I want to at least run 3 miles and if I can do more great.  I'm hoping the shin will hold up.  I had no problems tonight.  Tonight was physically a good workout and I'm hoping I can have more of the same tomorrow.  I'm glad I now have an option when it snows too much.  This will make winter running even better.

1 mile - 9:00 (9:00 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment