Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Cold Ironton Night Run

The plan was for an easy 10 miler today.  It looked like it would be nicer later in the afternoon.  Every day sucks around here.  However, I was tired and just not feeling it as the afternoon came around.  Instead, I took a nap and I had to wander out after dark.

I had to go to a basketball game first, so I wasn't going to get around to running until about 9 PM.  When I looked at the forecast, it said 14 degrees and the windchill would make it feel like 14 degrees.  I figured that with little wind, I could handle it.  I am getting used the cold, but 14 degrees is still 14 degrees.

I started off with both my fleece vest and jacket.  I only had on my heavier pair of gloves and my hands got cold, so I put on a second pair.  I also put on a winter hat and took off my headband.  I needed every bit of that gear.  I was fine once I warmed up, but that took at least a good mile.

The run would be around the Ironton Rail Trail, since that was on the way back from the game and it is plowed.  I didn't want to park in any of the lots at night, so I parked on the street near the caboose.  Because of that, I began with about a mile on the streets of Coplay.  A few people saw me running with my headlamp and vests in this cold and they must've thought I was nuts.

After going to around the streets, I opted to get on the trail.  I normally run in a counterclockwise direction, but this time I wanted to go clockwise.  That would mean the isolated section of the trail would be in the beginning.  It was nice going downhill to start.

The trail was plowed, but there was a thin layer of snow throughout a lot of it.  I tried to find the clear pavement when I could.  Every now and then, I'd hit a slick spot.  It wasn't too bad though.

The run was kind of peaceful, especially in the isolated section along the river.  I wish it was easier to see the river from there.  It was peaceful, but also kind of lonely.  I sure didn't expect anyone else to be running there and I didn't see anyone.

I cruised along.  At night, I don't look at my pace much.  It was nice and slow after 18 miles yesterday.  I think it was around 9 minutes per mile.  After being out a couple miles, it seemed like my shin might start acting up.  Thankfully it didn't because that would've been a long walk back.

It was good to get back to the area with houses next to the trail.  In the darkness, I found this section more comforting.  At one point, two deer were in someone's yard and sprinted across the trail right in front of me.  Another deer stood in the yard and froze.  It was cool seeing them there.

When I got to about 4.5 miles, it seemed like my shin might start bothering me.  Therefore, I didn't chance it and I just ran on my toes.  That had typically relieved my shin problems.  I didn't have any more issues from that point on.  I was thinking that I might only run 7 miles though. 

I finished up the loop going uphill.  A cop car entered the trail on the other side of the road as I was leaving the trail.  They seem to drive on there often.  I wondered if he would've said anything to me if he passed me.  As I got to my car, I was slightly past 6.5 miles.  I felt good, so I kept running.

I took the same path as I did last time.  I hit mile 7 and continued on.  By now, I was figuring on doing 8 miles.  I saw that I was crossing Eleventh Street.  I knew the trail crossed over Second Street, so I thought maybe I would run to that point. 

I ended up doing that and it was a big loop.  I got back on the trail and now had to go uphill.  That was the only bad thing about where I started.  Everything was uphill.  I had gone past mile 8 and was approaching mile 9 when I got to the caboose.  I decided to continue on.

I ran down the hill and decided to take the spur trail.  That is stone and very isolated, so I was surprised to see that they plow that section too.  I didn't go very far on it, because going through the Whitehall Parkway and the old buildings at night would've been a little uncomfortable.  I turned around at about 9.2 miles.  I headed back.  I ran up the hill and then to my car and slightly past it.  I finished up with 10 miles.

Today wasn't an easy run with the cold and the loneliness, but I was proud of myself for getting it done.  It was a good challenge to pass.  This winter is certainly testing me and will make me stronger in the end.

Tomorrow, I'm hoping to run double digits again.  I want to run hard this time, at least for a couple miles.  I haven't run much goal marathon pace.  I feel like 5 miles at that pace would be good.  Right now, I think that is like a moderate pace, so I wouldn't have to push too much.  I didn't check the weather yet, but I'm sure it will suck.

10 miles - 1:28:57 (8:54 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment