Sunday, January 5, 2014

Freezing Rain Run

Snowy, windy and cold runs have been the norm this winter.  The only thing that has been missing has been a little freezing rain.  We can check that off now today as well.  I got home late from the Eagles game last night and slept in.  That meant an early afternoon run.

The plan was to run at least 5 miles.  Originally, I was hoping for 10 miles, but that was before the freezing rain arrived.  I was actually driving out to the Ironton Rail Trail, but my windshield quickly froze up and I couldn't see, so I went back home to run.

I decided that I would run the neighborhoods around me.  With the freezing rain, I wore a jacket instead of the fleece.  I also had on a hat to keep the rain out of my eyes.  The temperature wasn't too bad.  It was just the eventual cold and wet combo that was a killer.

I began with the loop around my neighborhood.  I was worried that it would be slick, but it wasn't too bad.  Some spots I guess didn't have salt and they were slippery, but those were few and far between.

I crossed the road into the other neighborhood.  I did a short loop around there.  The first mile wasn't bad as I was still dry.  That wouldn't last though.  I got wet as the run went on.

I didn't want to go too far out, so I did another short loop that I don't often run.  By the time both of those first 2 loops were complete, I was over halfway done with the run (2.5 mile).  I decided to go out and run part of the Blue Eagle 5k course.  I ran that until I got near the race's 2 mile point and then I turned around.  By now, I'd be slightly around 4.5 miles when I got back to the school.

The tough thing was that my legs got cold when they were wet.  The same thing happened last week and I stayed out too long, so I didn't want to chance it.  With no wind it was find, but some directions, my legs became quite cold.  I probably should have on a second layer on my legs for conditions like this.

I arrived back at the school with around half a mile to go.  I thought about running to 6 miles, but figured 5 would be good enough.  What was another mile going to accomplish.  I figured I'd run again later in the evening anyway.

The pace was good.  The first mile was around 8:30, but every other mile was under 8 minutes.  Mile 4 was even a 7:29.  I wasn't pushing much either.

I finished up with a short loop around my neighborhood.  I was glad to battle some tough conditions and be done.  It is quite amazing that I signed up for the Lake Effect Half Marathon and now we are having one of the worst winters that I can recall.  This will make me tougher and prepared for that race.  That is for sure.

Everything was frozen after the run.  I couldn't even unzipped my jacket because it was covered in ice.  My hat had a layer of ice on it too.  I found it quite comical.

I wanted to do a 3 mile snowshoe run at night.  I was only going to run around the schoolyard.  However, I walked outside and it was raining again (after stopping earlier).  I didn't want to deal with that again.  I was hoping for a fun and relaxing run for a change.  I passed on the snowshoe run.  I'll leave that for another day. 

I haven't run double digit mileage in a few days.  I have to get back to that tomorrow.  The weather should be nicer, so I'm hoping for a 20+ mile run.  I may go to the Ironton Rail Trail since I at least know that that is plowed.  I hope it isn't icy.

5 miles - 39:01 (7:38 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment