Thursday, January 23, 2014

Parkway Snowshoe Run

Since the snow isn't melting any time soon, I'll be getting a lot of use out of my snowshoes.  I ran 4 miles yesterday and was hoping for a full 10k today.  I didn't want to go to Jacobsburg again, so I opted to run in the Parkway in Allentown.  I figured that the whole thing is 6 miles and it should be mostly snow covered with some elevation change.

I headed out there in the early afternoon.  It was brutally cold, but the sun was shining and with the snow, that made the scenery beautiful.  I always struggle with what to wear when snowshoe running.  I always end up overdressed.  Today, I had on a second pair of pants and a ColdGear top with a fleece over that and then a jacket.  I also switched between a winter hat, my face mask and nothing.  It was tricky because one direction was warm and the other was a little breezy and freezing cold.  I actually don't even pay attention to the temperature any more.  It is so brutally cold every single day.

I started off at the clubhouse and ran east toward the Robin Hood Bridge.  I planned on running much easier today.  While I did that, it doesn't matter.  I am quickly learning there is no such thing as an easy snowshoe run.  It is tricky because it doesn't seem that much more difficult than regular running initially, but after a few miles, I am just burnt out.  It takes a lot of work to run through the snow.

I saw a few cross country skiers out there and there were a ton of tracks from that too.  One day I should try that.  The path has been fairly well used.  I tried to run on fresh snow for the most part.  Otherwise, it was uneven running.

I crossed over the bridge and was already getting warm.  However the wind picked up as I went the other way.  I came through the first mile pretty tired.  It was beautiful when I got to the section right along the creek.

I had some relatively flat running for awhile.  One thing that was tricky was running over all the small plowed access ways.  I actually stopped and walked over most of them.  I don't want to damage my cleats.  That did give me some rest later on.  I brought my GoPro out and took some photos and video of the run.

I continued to try to run easy, but was working hard nonetheless.  At least my breathing wasn't too labored.  The legs were just getting punished.  I could've skipped the Fish Hatchery Hill, but I had to see what it was like.  It is always hard without snow.  Today, it was brutal.  I ran up it slowly and barely made it to the top.  I was breathing so heavy by the top.

I cruised downhill and around the Fish Hatchery.  I had to run through some plowed snow around the edge of the road in this area and that was tough.  I came through the 5k point and was already so dead.  I knew I could run another mile and probably a second one, but that would likely be it.

One good thing is that with the soft snow, my shin isn't bothering me.  Hopefully that stays the same when I get back onto the roads.  The top of my other foot bothered me a little bit during the run.  It hasn't acted up in some time.  I'll have to monitor that situation.

There are three small hills on this final section heading back to the clubhouse.  I could've opted to stay on flat ground, but that just isn't in my nature.  I had to battle them head on.  It took its toll.  I came down the final one by the Police Academy and was completely gassed.  I now knew I could only make it to mile 5.

This last half mile was so difficult.  My feet were dragging.  I ran just past the parking lot and hit mile 5.  I was unbelievably exhausted.  I didn't even move.  I just stood there for a bit, like I would do after a hard race.  It is amazing.  I never thought such a short run could take so much out of me.

Even if I don't get get a lot of mileage or time on my feet while snowshoeing, I am definitely getting a killer workout.  This is better than any tempo workout or speed interval that I can do on my own.  It is unbelievable.  I haven't worked this hard ever without feeling like I was giving it my all.  I never thought running a 10k in any fashion could be so hard.

Eventually, I'll get to a point where I can run a 10k.  If today was a race, some how, some way, I would've ran another mile.  Still, I was right at my breaking point.  By the end of the winter, I want to be able to actually run 10 miles in snowshoes.  That's a strong goal for me, since I'm only at half of that at the moment.

Tomorrow, I'm unsure of.  Maybe I'll try to find somewhere for a regular run or maybe I'll snowshoe run again.  I'm not sure because I can't keep doing this day after day.  It's just too physically tough.

5 miles - 50:03 (10:01 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment