Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Jacobsburg 4 Miler in Snowshoes

After testing out the new Dion Snowshoes last night, I decided to go for a real snowshoe run today.  The plan was to go to Jacobsburg and run the Sober's Run loop and maybe a little more.  I didn't want to cross any roads though.  There was some talk about doing a night snowshoe run and I actually didn't feel like an afternoon run.  However, I got out there by myself earlier in the day anyway.

Not surprisingly, there was only one car in the parking lot when I started.  It was very cold out, but there was no wind.  Actually, it is amazing how cold it has been this winter and how used to it I am by now.  Today was no big deal.  I had on an extra pair of pants and my face mask.  I typically had the mask down though.

These snowshoes are great and I'm glad I bought them.  It almost doesn't feel like you are wearing anything more than regular shoes.  The snow was so light that I heard a lot of crunching.  I don't know if that is good, but the snowshoes don't look too bad. 

I was interested to see how I'd run the powerline hill.  It isn't steep, but it is long and tough in normal conditions.  I had to work hard, but it wasn't overwhelming.  My breathing became very labored though.  I managed to get to the top in one piece.

I knew getting to the top would be huge because a lot of downhill comes up after that.  I recovered then and cruised along as I watched my pace drop and drop.  The first mile ended up being a 9:16.  That was a solid start.

When I got to the one turn, I made a right and did a somewhat short out and back.  That added about half a mile to the run.  It had some small rolling hills that were challenging.  I had been following cross country ski tracks that I'd seen from the start.

As I got back toward the main loop, I came across a guy on cross country skis.  That was cool.  I continued out to the road.  I ran over an icy spot and a bridge.  By now, my miles were under 8:30 each.  I came back and headed back into the loop.

I was nearly at mile 3 and becoming exhausted.  I didn't feel like I had been pushing too much or that running through the snow was overly difficult, but I guess it was harder than usual and pushing me near the edge.

Finally, I was back on the main loop and heading for home.  It got harder and harder, but I kept pushing.  This was quite the workout.  I went past mile 3 and then 3.5.  When I got back to my car, I was at 3.66.  I turned and headed back out for a short out and back finish.  I ended with 4 miles.  The cross country skier came up behind me after I was finished.

It was good to be done and a lot of fun.  I was beat by the end.  I could've managed 2 more miles I'm sure, but I really would've been dead.  Snowshoe running sure isn't easy.  It's a quality workout.  I'm still unsure whether I will run the PA State Championships or not.

I signed up for my first 50 miler.  I'm pretty excited.  Angie said she'd do it with me.  That would be a huge help.  Misery loves company.  That means I have to change my plans for a full marathon.  Emily and I were talking about doing one.  It is tough to find one that is just right.  I kind of feel like Goldilocks.  I figure by April or May, I'll be quite fast anyway though.

Tomorrow, I'm not sure what I'm doing.  I may bike in the afternoon if the roads are clear.  I'd like to snowshoe run again.  I'm thinking Trexler at night could be fun.  I have to work early in the evening though.

4 miles - 33:54 (8:29 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment