Saturday, January 25, 2014

Speedy BCR Run and Snowshoe Run

I was startled this morning when I was awaken from a deep sleep by my alarm clock at 6:30.  I was puzzled as to why it was going off at such an ungodly time.  Then I recalled that I set it to run with the BCR.  As usual, I rested back down on my pillow.  However, when I was still wide awake 10 minutes later, I grabbed my gear and headed out the door.

They were meeting at Riverview Park.  I figured it was going to snow later and wouldn't be much warmer anyway, so I might as well join them for this lovely 15 degree weather.  Since there was no wind and I'm used to the cold by now, I wore the usual attire.  Actually, I threw on a lightweight jacket instead of a fleece vest.

I ran with Emily yesterday and she had planned on coming, so I was looking forward to an easy run with her again.  However, she injured herself yesterday and took today off.  Normally, my body isn't awake this early and I don't like to run hard.  Rarely do I bother to even try to run with Mertz.  If I do, I'm used to him killing me because his easy pace was usually a struggle for me.

I figured it was either hang with him for awhile or run on my own.  I caught up to him and we ran together.  The pace actually wasn't bad at all, on the partially snow covered trail.  We were running a little under 7:30 and I wasn't having any breathing issues.  That is now becoming an easy pace for me.  It is quite amazing.  I was able to converse with no issues.  The legs were well rested this week, so I felt great.

The plan was to go out 3 miles and head back.  Time flew by as we cruised along.  We got to the Boat Launch and took the access road into the parking lot because it was plowed.  Elsewhere, we knew the path would be snow covered.  We actually went down to the main path before turning around.

That was somewhat challenging.  It was snow covered and uneven.  We were only on it for about a tenth of a mile or two tenths.  We turned around and ran past most of the rest of the group.  I was surprised with how many people were running out to 6 miles.  They usually don't have that many going that far.  It is often a big mix of distances.

Mile 1 was a 7:21, mile 2 was a 7:26, mile 3 was a 7:27 and mile 4 was a 7:19.  That wasn't bad, but my legs were getting restless and I felt like pushing a bit.  I started to do that and Mertz didn't go with me, so I was on my own for the final 2 miles (not that he was ever far behind).

Even on this 5th mile, I didn't feel like I was going that hard.  I was stunned when I looked at my watch and saw that it was a 6:30 mile.  When did that pace become a moderate pace?  I picked it up a little more as I got into the last mile before Riverview.  That was an even faster 6:14 and a great way to finish up.  I felt so good and so strong.  Maybe backing off over the last two weeks is exactly what my body needed to be refreshed.

I'm having no shin problems any more either.  That hasn't bothered me in a week.  Next week is the Super Bowl 10k and even with bad weather, I should crush my PR.  If all goes well, I might even break 40 minutes.  That would be amazing.

I was sitting on 28 miles for the week.  I had some chafing issues from the morning run, so I figured I'd probably pass on a snowshoe run in the afternoon.  That was too bad because it was snowing and that would've been fun.  I was bored at night and was bothered by being at 28 miles.  I had to get out there for more, so I changed my mind.

I only wanted 2 miles to get to 30 for the week.  I elected to snowshoe run in the darkness at the schoolyard next to my house.  It was cold again, but with no wind, it was rather comfortable.  This time, I didn't wear a second layer of pants and the legs got cold as I kicked snow up onto them.

I ran the perimeter of the schoolyard about as much as I could.  That got me some extra distance compared to the last time, but it was still only 1.2 miles in that loop.  I had my first snowshoe fall.  I'm sure it is the first of many.  I rarely fall on normal trails though.  I was coming around a banked turned and slipped on the soft snow. 

I ran a couple shorter loops after the main one.  My pace got quicker, but this time, I was running with an easy effort.  I'm starting to get used to the snowshoe runs.  They are becoming a little less work and more fun.  It was a good way to end the week.

I'm not sure what to do tomorrow.  Jessica setup a group run in the morning at Liberty State Park across from NYC.  That would certainly be cool, so I might go there.  However, I'm not sure what it will be like after all the recent snowfall.  I'm also not sure if I can get up in the morning and drive over there.  I have to be back by noon to go to some basketball games.  I may just end up staying around here and try to run double digit miles.  I haven't gone that far in a couple weeks.

BCR Run 6 miles - 42:16 (7:03 pace)
Snowshoe Run 2 miles - 20:04 (10:02 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment