Sunday, January 12, 2014

Short Run After Some Injury Issues

I clearly pushed myself too far last week.  I was hurting on Wednesday, but I tried to tough it out and finish the 10 miler.  I really should've cut it off around mile 7, if not sooner.  I paid big time for that decision.  The front of my left leg right above the ankle was very sore on Thursday.  I was limping around all day and Friday was only slightly better.

I couldn't walk well over the last few days, so I couldn't even think about running.  I iced and rested as much as I could.  I took 3 days off completely from running.  I still didn't feel 100% this morning, but I was light years better than the end of last week.

I felt good enough that I had to get out and run a little.  I needed to test things out.  The plan was a mere 3 miles.  I decided to head out to the Nor-Bath Trail in the afternoon.  I figured that maybe a softer surface would help too.

The weather was much better than it has been.  The temperature was around 40 degrees.  The only problem was that it was windy.  With a jacket on, I was fine.  I actually took my gloves and headband off fairly early on.  I'd be happy with this weather any day.

I started at Bicentennial Park.  I figured that I could run the entire 3 miles from there without even crossing a road.  Since I figured that the trail conditions would be sloppy, I wore my old shoes.  I don't think the new ones are causing the problem, because I had around 250 miles on them before any of the issues arose.  I can't rule that out either though.

The trail was a sloppy and wet mess, so the shoe selection was great.  The feet got a little wet, but it wasn't too bad.  At least things weren't snowy or icy.  I decided to head west to begin.  That way I wouldn't have to run into the wind for too long.

I felt great as I began.  I thought maybe I'd have some pain in the beginning, so I was thrilled with how I was doing.  I was so happy to be pain free.  I pumped my fist in joy.  I cruised along nice and easy; there was no reason to run hard.

I felt good as I got to the first road crossing.  I figured I might as well change plans and cross the road.  I got across it easily.  The next section was a little better, but still sloppy.  I ran out to a mile before turning around.

I started to feel some soreness as I approached the end of that first mile.  I carried on though.  It got a little worse as I continued on.  I considered stopping at 2 miles.  I don't want to overdo it. 

When I was close to finishing the second mile, I started running on my toes more.  That alleviated a lot of the soreness.  I just can't do that for too long.  I felt better as I cruised past the park.  I planned to continue out now. 

I ran out to 2.66 miles.  That meant that I'd have about a third of a mile left to finish up.  I did has some soreness as I finished that mile.  I never let it get too bad though.  The interesting thing is that where the soreness is located seems to have shifted.  Last week, it was more on the outside of the leg.  Today, I was having issues more directly behind the bone.

It was good to be done at 3 miles.  I walked back to the car without any issues.  The good news is that I was able to complete the run without any major issues.  The bad news is that I'm not 100% and could not have run much farther.  It looks like I'll need to rest even more this week.  All my runs will likely be short.  I might try to get on the bike to get some endurance training in and keep my fitness up.

Tomorrow, I'm not sure what I'll do.  Maybe I'll ride for a couple hours.  Maybe I'll do another short run too.  It might depend on how well I recover from today and how I feel tomorrow.  I'm grateful because this doesn't seem like it will be a long term problem.  I just have to be cautious with it.

3 miles - 25:42 (8:34 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment